Saturday, April 11, 2015

Day 7 and Day 8 of April Moon

Hello my fellow Creative Beasts,

I am participating in Kat McNally's writing challenge, April Moon 15 and you are invited to join and play along however you are moved to do so. You will find all the details and sign up HERE.

And today, there are TWO writing prompts, since  my day got away from me to write on Day 7...

DAY 7:


While it's not exactly the FIRST thing I think of when I wake in the morning, I DO use it as 'my happy place' when trying to fall back asleep in the wee morning hours, as well as when I officially go to sleep......and it's been on mind a LOT since I recently heard about the line-up of instructors for not ONE but TWO retreats coming in 2016!

The Presentation Center located in Los Gatos, home of An Artful Journey Retreat!

How the dining hall looks as the sun is setting at dinner time and fellow artists are gathering to break bread - this scene ALWAYS feels welcoming as I approach the dining hall for dinner. Is it any wonder I love to use this as 'my happy place' to relax myself??!?


Day 8:


The first thing that came to mind with this prompt is a blog post I wrote about my collection of scissors and shears, my 'Tools of the Trade' for all the sewing I do...


Personally, I wouldn't call this a 'collection' though it certainly appears that way. I did NOT set out to 'collect' so many scissors and shears because I like collecting them, and isn't that how a collection works?

I wound up with this many scissors and shears by accident, for the most part...

Many were bought during my training as a Pattern Drafter in Fashion Design...

Some were bought for art-full workshops...

Some were bought strictly for paper cutting and such scissors don't always need a pointed end...

Some, like my snips, were repeatedly bought when I thought I lost them, only to find them hiding in my big tool bag...

Some were bought becuase I like the look of them, such as the 'embroidery' scissors, and they can cut into tiny areas that large scissors can't always reach...

Some were bought for specialty work, such as the scallop and pinking shears, only to be doubled when I came across my grandmother's scallop and pinking shears and brought them home with me...

No, my scissors and shears are not an 'intentional' collection, as my hats and handbags are collected, with an eye for color and shape, as are the many trays I collect for their look and function, or my collection of nearly every Prismacolor colored pencil ever made that I began to collect when I was just 13, discovering that the wonderful look and texture of those color pencils was MUCH BETTER than the drug store color pencils ever were!

But I have to admit that all my scissors and shears DO make a collection and, I suppose, it's an interesting collection at that.

1 comment:

Deborah Weber said...

That dining hall picture IS fabulous - it feels so delicious and welcoming. What a wonderful image to meditate on. And what an amazing gathering of scissors. I've just returned from a retreat and one evening, gathered in circle with my friends, we were each tacking things onto our altar cloth. I noticed we all had our little scissors out and each was different, like we all are, and suddenly it felt like such a wonderful metaphor for diversity in unity. Makes me smile to think about it.