Thursday, April 9, 2015

Day 6 of April Moon

Hello my fellow Creative Beasts,

I am participating in Kat McNally's writing challenge, April Moon 15 and you are invited to join and play along however you are moved to do so. You will find all the details and sign up HERE.

And now for today's writing prompt...


Thunder storms are pretty rare where I live, in the Los Angeles area, but there was once a thunder storm that came so close to my home, it felt as though the lightening had hit the corner of my block...

Loud, grumbling thunder was sounding loud and clear, accompanied by bright cracks of lightening, but neither the thunder nor lightening had brought any rain with it.

I had been counting the space between each sound of thunder and the bright blaze of lightening that followed and, strangely enough, the spaces between the thunder and the lightening was actually getting shorter and shorter, closer and closer, until finally...

BLAZE!

CRACK!!

EARTH SHAKE!!!

The lightening seemed to hit the corner intersection that was a mere 20 feet away from my home!

The lightening was SO BRIGHT it fully illuminated the living room as I sat out the passing storm...

The thunder was SO LOUD it sounded like the sky cracked open and it was SO STRONG that it made the ground shake as if it were an earthquake...

...and just like that, it all passed away, with no damage done, except the lasting impression of the true power of Nature...


...Maybe this brush with Nature is where I got my secret desire to be a storm chaser!

4 comments:

sharah said...

Wow, that was close! We get strong thunder and lightning here, but it almost always comes with rain.

Alana said...

That does sound close! I love thunderstorms.

Kat McNally said...

Sounds amazing!

Deborah Weber said...

Ooh, love that Monica. While such a close experience can be a bit adrenaline-producing, there's something about lightning and thunder that is also so very powerfully cleansing as well.