Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Day 5 of April Moon

Hello my fellow Creative Beasts,
I am participating in Kat McNally's writing challenge, April Moon 15 and you are invited to join and play along however you are moved to do so. You will find all the details and sign up HERE.

And now for today's writing prompt...


BOOKS...

I am ALWAYS inspired by something I read in a BOOK, from biographies to personal development, from entrepreneurship to craft books, I always learn something in just about any book that crosses my path (including BOOKS ABOUT MAKING BOOKS!) and I always find something that inspires me...

Here is a list of a few books that inspire me, one way or another, that I return to often:

The Alienist by Caleb Carr - a wonderful novel about the burgeoning sciences of Psychiatry and Forensics used in profiling a 'serial killer' at the turn of the 20th century. It may be hard to believe today, but these sciences were not taken seriously when they were first put into action. This novel includes the historical figure of Theodore Roosevelt before he became president. 

The Creative Habit by Twyla Tharp - a great book that shows you how you can cultivate the creative habit in your life, and it really IS a habit you can cultivate for yourself. I think I'm due for a re-read of this wonderful book.

Making a Living Without a Job - an acquaintance told me about this book, which I immediately borrowed from the library. I am currently re-borrowing this book again as it's filled with great personal development exercises. As the author often points out in her monthly newsletter "Joyfully Jobless", "The best personal development program you can ever have is being an entrepreneur", and I am learning how true this is.

Alabama Stitch Book - as a professional seamstress and costumer, I do not buy many sewing books, as they are primarily aimed at the craft market or beginning sewer, but this book is full of wonderful ideas for recycling t-shirts into wonderful and wearable garments, and as anyone who has been following my blog long enough will know, recycled t-shirt skirts and recycled t-shirt scarves are things I LOVE to make! It is also filled with wonderful stories that are an homage to the sewers of yesteryear.

500 Handmade Books - a wonderful compendium of the many marvelous artists who create art books today and there is MUCH visual inspiration (500 art-FULL books to look at!) for anyone interested in book arts. NOTE: I do not own this book, but I borrow it from library when I am in need of some visual inspiration for book art ideas!

Good Mail Day - I first learned of mail art when I took an art class back in the mid 90's and I became fascinated by the concept of creating and sending art BY MAIL - I even participated in a few mail art exhibits! When I discovered this book, I knew I had to have it. It is very informative about the history of mail art and how to join mail art lists to give and receive mail art, along with lots of visual inspiration and instructions for making your own mail art.

Four Word Self Help by Patti Digh - I love this book, and not just because I have my artwork in it! I discovered Patti Digh between 2006 - 2007 and became a big fan of her writing and her blog. Her writing is such a soothing and healing balm for the soul. This book is a quick and easy read and it is as uplifting as her other books.

And here are a few other books I love to read over and over and over again:


I've just noticed that the three books above are written by women! Coincidence?? I think NOT, when I realize that most of the books I've listed are written by women as well...and yes, George Eliot was a WOMAN named Mary Ann Evans who took a male pen name to have her work published and taken seriously by the public.

Do YOU get inspired by BOOKS? If so, which books do you return to again and again? I am always on the lookout for new books to read or buy, so please share some of your own favorites with me!

4 comments:

kafj said...

Aha, snap! I wrote about books too, without having seen your post!

I love adventures in imaginary worlds that look suspiciously similar to our own - everything from Angria, Gondal and Glasstown, via Ruritania, to Discworld. Not to mention Arthur Ransome's Lake District.

I've been thinking a lot about Ballet Shoes recently (Noel Streatfeild) - it has a huge amount to say about art, work and feminism.

(Yes, I adore children's literature, and I am not ashamed to admit it!)

Kat McNally said...

You're a gal after my own heart. x

Alana said...

Yay! More book love. I have had 'The Creative Habit' on my list for a while, perhaps this is my sign to pick it up.

onethousandandtwo said...

Thank you for the list of books. I've written them down.

Lily