Thursday, February 26, 2015

Orly Avineri & Flora Bowley Talk About Visual Language...

Hello my fellow Creative Beasts!
There is a lot that has been simmering in my part of the world, some creative doldrums, some studio shifting and always LOTS of ideas swimming in my head...sometimes I wonder if I should start a series of these ideas, a 'la Diana Vreeland and her column for Harpers Bazaar called "Why Don't You..?" I once saw the book based on this column and found many wonderful, creative ideas in it, such as this one:

"Why don't you...Cover a big cork bulletin board in bright pink felt banded with bamboo, and pin with colored thumb-tacks all your various enthusiasms as your life varies from week to week?"

Now THAT would be a great thing to have in a creative studio, wouldn't it?!?

In the meantime, I want to share this wonderful video featuring my art journal instructor, Orly Avineri, being interviewed by Flora Bowley about finding your own visual language.

One of the important points they bring up is the fact that it does TAKE TIME to discover your own visual language, it doesn't happen overnight. As an art practitioner since childhood, I can attest that it can take YEARS to develop a visual language of one's own and some days, I still struggle with figuring out my visual language as well as my creative identity, and I have been a practitioner for nearly 45 years!

But I can also tell you that you won't be able to develop your visual language if you do not PRACTICE art and creativity...and some days practicing does not come easy...like piano lessons ;)

It is a great video to watch as two fabulous artists discuss art, inspiration and visual language - check it out by clicking* on THIS LINK and ENJOY!


* - Sorry it is a link only; I had no way to imbed this great video interview into my blog post!

3 comments:

Amelia said...

Hi Monica, sorry to hear you're having a creative doldrum. The life of an artist def has its ups and downs! I've decided on a creative tuesday project for one and all to join in with so we can all get some inspiration - I've just put it on the blog :)
With re. to embedding videos, I think you would need to go to html tab when creating a new post (top left) and embed the html code which you get from below a video and then switch back to 'compose' tab once pasted and then you should see your video on your blog! Hope that helps :)
Amelia

karen wallace said...

Hello Monica. Nice to drop in and connect with you again. Hugs Karen

Deborah Weber said...

Loved the video - thanks for sharing. I love that concept of a visual language, and it's such fun to learn your own vocabulary.