Friday, January 23, 2015

A Not-So-Great Week and Some Peeks at the PiP - My Accomplishment Journal Part I

Hello to one and all!
It's been a bit of an up-and-down week but I wanted to share some peeks at the Accomplishment Journal I finally managed to start putting together this week...

Materials for the cover of what will be my Accomplishment Journal...

In my previous post, I shared a glimpse of the materials that would go into the cover of my Accomplishment Journal, which you can see above. I was finally able to begin sewing my book cover this week, since I had some free time on my hands due to the cancellation of what was to be my first workshop of the new year...

My sewing machine on the table, threaded and ready for sewing my book cover...

Yes, my first workshop of 2015 was cancelled, HOWEVER, there was at least ONE STUDENT that registered for the workshop, so there was some interest in this first offering for the new teaching venue. It took much longer to get even one student to register for my workshops at the local community college before I finally got enough students to make up a whole class to teach...

Trims and embellishments are being sewn down to create a lovely cover I will enjoy looking at every day...

And I have to admit that while figuring out a date to teach I had a niggling feeling that January might have been too soon after the holiday season to teach a creative workshop...

The lining is attached to the cover with all trims sewn down and the manila card stock is cut to fit to add some stiffening to the book cover*

But I had some hopes that there just might be some folks itching to come out for some creative play in the new year...

Detail shot of the inner book lining of tea-dyed muslin

After all of the years of listening and watching as people 'tighten their belts' after the holiday season, I really should have known better than to schedule a creative workshop in January...

Detail shot of the lining and cover seam with all trims tucked in the sewn seam for a nice clean edge finish...

But I got swept up in the excitement of having a new venue to teach from and, of course, I wanted to start right away!

My Accomplishment Journal cover is now sewn and ready to be filled with paper pages to write on, but what papers to use?? Stay tuned...

Learning that my workshop had been cancelled was a bump in my week, but I took the time that would have been spent teaching and used it to finally begin sewing on the cover for what will be my Accomplishment Journal for 2015 and it made my day much better...

I was disappointed about the cancellation of course, but not totally surprised since my intuition had been telling me that holding a workshop in January really was too soon after the spending spree that is the holidays, but know I will know better in the future!

I made a bit of headway on the Accomplishment Journal as you can see from the photos above, but there was a small element that had gone missing - a little sprig of paper flowers I intend to tuck into the cream 'pocket' you can see on the cover flap above.

And that sprig of flowers is not the only thing that has gone missing in my home for other Projects in Process. It seems the fold over elastic for a recycled t-shirt skirt I hoped to complete before the end of 2014 also went missing...

I am now convinced that there is a gremlin in my home stealing my supplies to keep me from finishing my Projects in Process!!

I will be back to share more of my Accomplishment Journal as it progresses to completion and I will be sure to let you know if I catch that little gremlin and get my missing supplies back! ;)

I hope you enjoy a Fun Friday and weekend of creative adventures =)


* - This method of making a book cover comes from the online workshop 'Remains of the Day', taught by Mary Ann Moss

1 comment:

Deborah Weber said...

Oh goodness Monica - the cover of your journal is simply swoon-worthy! I laughed when you mentioned your paper flowers and elastic had gone missing. While it can be annoying in the moment, somehow I'm always entertained when those lost things show up again, particularly in a spot you know you've looked. Because that means they must have traveled somewhere right, and been on some fabulous secret adventure.

Sorry to hear about the no-go of your class, but I've no doubt it's only a temporary setback. And I'm certain there will a time in the not-to-distance future where your classes will have waiting lists. How fun will that be?!

Can wait to see what you choose for pages in your new journal.