Wednesday, December 3, 2014

DayThree of Reverb14 - Loving What Is...

Today is Day Three of Kat McNally's journal prompt follow along, Reverb14 and I will attempt to tackle today's prompt, my friend, which is this:

"It’s all too easy to put off loving where we are until everything is perfect. What can you love about where you are now?"

Kat wrote about her gratitude practice, which she shares regularly on her blog I Saw You Dancing as a (mostly!) weekly post called 'Savouring my Saturday (or Sunday!)' and I love reading these posts as they are full of joy in the little things and often full of links to wonderful books and articles to read or there might be a link to the occasional garment and accessory, and who doesn't love browsing clothes and accessories?!?

I began my own practice of a gratitude journal about 2 years ago but since my move to this new home (and studio space) I confess, it has been hard for me to keep up this practice of gratitude, even with the newest gratitude journal I made earlier this year...

I had a lot of fun making this new gratitude journal and love looking at it! Sadly, I'm just not writing in it =\

I wasn't in a state of perfection when I began my practice, so I'm not sure why I'm having such a problem returning to my gratitude practice at this time in my life. Honestly, this new place has a LOT going for it compared to my old place:

I now have central a/c, which allows me to practice baking IN THE SUMMERTIME!

The cupcakes I made for my birthday last month - I iced them myself using just a freezer bag!

I am still within walking distance to a local library, which I visit regularly

I am even within walking distance to a Michael's Craft store!!

I have a little patio that my dear boyfriend has been working on cultivating into a garden patio, and I enjoy tending to it every morning:

A view of the Garden Patio from earlier this year - I'll share a photo of the climbing vine and creeping charlie that was added in the corner because it looks lovely!

And I am still managing to create lots of things, in one way or another in this new home:
Recent creative project: knitting little hats and scarves for some 'snowmen' my grandmother made of glued and painted wood balls - I'm sure she meant to make them into ornaments...

It does seem that there is a lot to love right now, as it is, in the moment...

It can be hard to step back and see where you really are in the moment when all you can focus on is where you want to be. There were many comforting comments on yesterdays' blog post after I expressed my unhappiness and frustration with my current situation of struggling to earn good money, or at least to create a somewhat steady stream of income for myself with my creative skills...

But I AM thankful for the wonderful opportunities that have come my way this year, one of which came out of August Moon when I connected with another blogger who became a long distance client for me (you know who you are and you are FABULOUS!).

And I finally managed to teach one of my creative workshop offerings TWICE this year, after struggling to get any students to sign up for them at a local junior college for over a year...and I was on the verge of being 'discontinued' if it kept up!

Completed books made by the students in the first creative workshop this year

I've also made some great connections online and I am happy to be making some new friends that includes monthly mail art exchanges, something I love to do...

***   ***   ***
Lately, I've been thinking lot about abandoning my gratitude journal in exchange for an ACCOMPLISHMENT journal. I used to keep an accomplishment journal, long before keeping a gratitude journal, and it made me marvel at all that I managed to accomplish, even when I was working at my awful office job.

I read at a blog recently that making a list of ten things you've done during your day can help build confidence, or as I like to call it "identity capital", and I think if I begin the practice of seeing all that manage to accomplish, especially toward my dreams and goals, it will help me to improve my outlook and help me to love what is...

And it's also an excuse to make a new book for myself!! ;)

4 comments:

Kim said...

Your journal-whether gratitude or achievements-looks fabulous!

Deborah Weber said...

Oh I think an Accomplishment journal is a brilliant idea. And made all the more fun by creating your own. The very project begins with an accomplishment!

EvalinaMaria said...

You are very creative and I love the idea of Accomplishment Journal.

Kat McNally said...

Love the idea of an accomplishment journal. I think you would fill it in no time! xx