Thursday, December 11, 2014

Day 11 of Reverb14 - Ritual and Routine...

Today is Day 11 of Reverb14, hosted by the lovely Kat McNally who blogs at I Saw You Dancing. Check out the Reverb14 page HERE to join along and journal to the amazing prompts as we journal our way out of 2014...it's YOUR CHOICE to journal publicly or privately, as we all journal our way out of 2014 and plan for the new year ahead...

Today our 'Hostess with the Most-ess', talks about ritual and routine. Here is what Kat had to say about that:

I’ve been getting up at 5am most days for the last few months. It wouldn’t be my preference but that’s when bambino decides the day is starting (and I’ll forgive him, because he’s been sleeping through the night!).

It’s still dark when we get up. Once I have tended to his needs and placed him on his play mat with a couple of toys, I always do the same thing; I switch on the coffee machine. The type of breakfast I make; the extent to which I catch up on my email and instagram feeds; the time that the rest of the family wake up: these things all all vary. But switching on the coffee machine is the one thing I do without fail and without thinking.

What can I say? I’m a Melbourne girl: it’s coffee first!

What tiny rituals signal that your day is starting; help you ease into a creative project; give you closure from an intensive task; or mark other significant milestones in your day? What new rituals would you like to create in the new year?

I touched on this topic earlier during August Moon, but I think it might be a good to look at just what these words mean before I begin to tackle this prompt...

For the purposes of this prompt, I'll take this definition of RITUAL from Dictionary.com:

prescribed, established, or ceremonial acts or features collectively, as in religious services...

And this definition of ROUTINE, also from Dictionary.com:

commonplace tasks, chores, or duties as must be done regularly or at specified intervals; typical or everyday activity

I prefer these definitions for today's prompt as they reflect the tone of what is being asked. We all have actions that we take on a daily basis and while these actions might seem small, insignificant or prescribed, they DO mark the passing of our days or they commence the start of particular activities in our days.

But we can take them out of being small, insignificant or prescribed routine when we turn them into the ceremony of ritual as we take time to be mindful of these daily actions. As a result, these daily actions take on importance, and even meaning, as they become the launching point from which we begin our day. Some need a daily brew of coffee or tea to start their day on the right note, some need exercise and some need meditation, but these little daily actions are important to us, so they move from the idea of ROUTINE to RITUAL as they take on meaningful significance in our daily life.

And with that, I will share some of the rituals I have in my life...

My morning rituals look like this:
  • Morning meditation - I have been doing this ritual for a few years now and if I do not begin my day with my grounding and centering meditation, I tend to feel scattered!
  • Morning walk after meditation - I have been unable to do this for many months since my leg injuries and I miss it greatly. Walking in the morning gets my body moving and awake, and my brain begins to percolate with creative ideas as I look at the nature I encounter on my walks
  • Morning breakfast with a book - I try to read something while eating my breakfast since it is one of the few times in my day that I will have for reading, since I am usually busy with my creative work or housekeeping tasks
My afternoon ritual is this:
  • Late afternoon lunch watching a favorite movie - I like to sit with a favorite movie as I eat my lunch and I let movie play on to keep me company as I begin to work on sewing projects
My evening ritual is this:
  • Hop into the shower to clean the energy of the day off me before my dear boyfriend arrives home - It helps me wind down so I can be in a restful state to relax with my dear boyfriend for the rest of our evening together

These rituals are important to me as I go about my day, but it would be great to establish a few more rituals and some rituals I would like to establish are these:
  • A ritual or ceremony before I commence to work on creative projects
  • A ritual for bidding unwanted/unneeded clutter goodby
  • A ritual for deciding what to wear for the day
  • A ritual for completing creative projects, no matter how long it took to finish it!

The idea to create some new rituals is intriguing me and I look forward to exploring some possibilities for how to create a few new rituals to mark my days in 2015. You can bet I'll share how this develops, so be sure to stay tuned!

1 comment:

Deborah Weber said...

What a thoughtful reflection on moving routine into the realm of ritual. And I especially love the evening ritual shower to clear off the day's energy and ready for the evening. That's fabulous.