Wednesday, November 5, 2014

A Funny Thing Happened...

Well my friend, it seems that a funny thing happened while I was spending time being angry and frustrated about my creative studio - I shared my frustration about my messy studio with over a 100 other artists, and I realized a few things in the process:

  • I was not the only artist who feels their studio is an unholy mess and unfit for public consumption
  • Yet, many visiting artists thought my studio space was wonderful, full of color and fun to look at, just as I felt about looking at the creative studios of these same artists!
  • Realizing that my studio is really not the unholy mess I thought it was propelled me to begin a cleaning and clearing process which helped me to clear off my studio table enough to be able to work on when my creative workshop events came up and I needed to prep my teaching supplies...
A studio table with space to work on and prep supplies for my creative workshop...

 Book kits of paper, thread and needles for binding...

This studio clean-up was actually spurred by the possibility that I would have a sewing student (and friend!) coming to work on creating a Halloween costume. The sewing lessons did not take place after all, but it DID galvanize me to do some cleaning to accommodate my potential student and it provided the benefit of a clean and clear table to work on when it came time to prepare the supplies and teaching materials I need for my Bookmaking 101 workshops, which I'm happy to report actually took place, despite low enrollment...

Completed books made by students in the weeknight workshop!

And then there were other creative opportunities that came my way, so the month of October flew by before I knew what was happening...

Things are a bit quiet now so I thought I'd use the time to check in and let you know what's been happening in my part of the world, such as a renewed interest in some jewelry projects that have been waiting for completion since I blogged about them in 2012!

A few of my old jewelry projects I uncovered while making something special for one of my mail art friends

This long stretch of time in completing many of my creative projects is why I am coming to the conclusion that it's time to start eliminating the creative channels that no longer serve me and to keep the creative projects that make my heart sing in my life AND in my studio space. I know that if I begin to clear out that which no longer interests or serves me, it will make space for better opportunities, not to mention some space for storing the creative supplies I plan to keep!!

I will be sure to come back soon to share a few details about the workshops that took place and a fun project for a performance art friend I worked on - it was the kind of creative challenge I really enjoy doing!

By the way - did you know that November is Art Every Day Month?? You can learn more about it by visiting the blog of Leah Piken Kolidas who has been hosting this art-full event for 10 years now! This just might be the year I join the fun =)

Thank you for taking time to read my belated letter to you and I hope you have made time for a creative project or two in your day!

1 comment:

Kelly Warren said...

No doubt about it; my studio is truly an unholy mess. Even when I do take the time to do a thorough cleaning and reorganizing, it's back to being an unholy mess in a week. :-)