Thursday, September 25, 2014

The Aftermath of Sharing my "Studio Table"...

Well, my friend, I shared the reality of what my 'studio table' and creative space REALLY looks like right now and the world did not come to an end!


In fact, my eyes were opened as I saw 123 participants (!) in Seth Apter's call for artists to share their own studio tables and the colorful reality of what a WORKING STUDIO SPACE really looks like.

It seems I am not the only one who enjoys busting a few myths, this one being the myth of the 'pristine fantasy studio space', of which I have shared my own fantasy about before:

One of 3 'fantasy' studios I shared in this blog post...at least it DOES appear as if SOMEONE is working on this studio table!

In sharing my own frustration at my messy studio table, I have received some wonderful support and encouragement from the other participants, whose blogs I visited and got inspired by.

And despite visiting many artful studios looking less than 'pristine', as we are being 'conditioned' to think a studio space should be, each space I visited was FULL of VIBRANT ENERGY of creative work being made in wonderful, glorious COLOR!

Here is a short list of some of my favorite studio tables I got inspired by and what I loved about them:

Rita Vindedzis - she shared how her table has to convert to a dining table for guests, but she and her husband usually eat 'Big Bang Theory" style, on the sofa, in front of the TV, which is just how my dear boyfriend and I eat now that we share our new home!

(And my boyfriend and I DO watch this show regularly I might add!)

Jo Murray - his creative space is full of color and works-in-progress with so much visual inspiration and books on creativity that I felt instantly 'at home' looking at his space; and his title "Studio Chaos - Situation Normal" made me laugh! I do love folks with a sense of humor!

Tracey Fletcher King - a lovely studio table filled with color and wonderful light to work in was quite inspiring, not to mention her hilarious take on a day gone wrong, which had me laughing as I could recognize myself in how she looked at her 'day gone wrong', though I'm not always able to see such days with so much humor in the moment...

Terrie Purkey - seeing her table with stacks and stacks of paper made me feel SO MUCH BETTER about my own tabletops and learning that she works in more than one art process (collage, paint, sewing) helped me to see that having more than one art interest can be a bit of a bugaboo when it comes to space for it all...

Kim of Paperie Petals - seeing that this artist works in a space slightly smaller than my own was helpful for me - if she can manage to have supplies organized and be able to work in the amount of space she has, then I can figure out how to manage it too!

Deb's Studio Blog - the space of this book artist reminded me of how my old home used to look, with the hardwood floors and every nook and cranny holding/storing paper, art books, supplies and tools, all with a lovely 'rustic' vintage vibe everywhere you look, but I confess, it made me nostalgic for my old creative home-space...and finally...


Kelly Kilmer - she shared one image of her creative space and it was a great example of an artist with WAY more rubber stamps and art books than me, which made me feel better that my supply collections are not that big! But if she can have it all organized in the corner of her living room, I should be able to organize my supplies in the whole room I have available to me, which got me thinking...

As I visited all the wonderful artists sharing the reality of their creative working spaces, there were some things that stood out for me:
  • Making art gets messy VERY QUICKLY, and it's high time I really EMBRACE THIS instead of feeling ashamed about it because it is strikingly clear that this is just part of what it means to be an Artist and THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS!
  • Having one's supplies organized is VERY HELPFUL to keeping a space relatively clean-looking
  • Having more than one creative avenue you work in can lead to overload of supplies, which can lead to disorganization which, I'm discovering, is my biggest problem

And I'm also discovering that it might time for me to look at the artful venues I truly enjoy working in the most, so I can begin to move out the supplies for the crafts I no longer wish to work in...

I'll be sure to keep you abreast of how this project to whittle down to my favorite creative pastimes works out in the weeks and months to come - it will be a process that will take some time to be sure!

Thank you for reading, my friend, and I hope you have made some time for a creative project today =)

3 comments:

Eddie Bluelights said...

Hi Monica!!
At last I got round here - I have been busy looking after my darling grandson, aged 11 months. See my latest post if you would like to . . .

You look highly productive in your studio - but I see the problem about space. What you really need is a Tardis, borrowed from Dr Who. The internal dimensions are much bigger than the external dimensions - thought that might be a useful suggestion . . . . lol

Hope you are keeping well ~ hugs ~ Eddie . . . :)

Kathryn Hansen said...

It's ALWAYS nice to know that you are not alone!!!!

sensitivesoulsrequiremorebeauty.com said...

Dear Creative Beast,

I just wanted to say thank you OODLES for your lovely comment to my blog post on Moodscope on Saturday.

Whenever I've written about creativity and wellbeing the response can often be underwhelming. Like you, I wish folk could more fully grasp just how important creativity is to our mental and emotional wellbeing.

You know what I think? I think you too should write a post for Moodscope on this topic. ;o)

Greetings to you m'lady,

Suzy xx