Thursday, August 28, 2014

Trying to 'Gently Go' Forward...

Dear Friends,
I am sad that August Moon has come to an end...and though it has come to an end, that doesn't mean that my struggles have come to an end...

Sometimes, digging deep with writing out what I'm struggling with in my life can bring out other issues hiding in the subterranean depths, not to mention the fallout of trying to cope with the aftermath of facing these issues. This could be why I am not a diarist or regular journal keeper - dealing with the fallout can be exhausting!

But I will say that the gentle guidance of Kat throughout the August Moon series was helpful to have on the journey since I tend to be hard on myself a LOT, especially in regard to unfinished creative projects...

So imagine my delight when I actually finished a project that I recently uncovered, an old project I had cut out to sew over two years ago:

In the process of making a little tote bag - the photos for this project were taken with my iPad... 
 
An old project COMPLETED! Can you believe it?!?

 An inner pocket to hold just about anything that strikes me...

This has prompted me to return to some 'raw books' I prepped but never finished, which was also about 2 years ago:

 The fun part will be decorating the covers, after assembly...

And in keeping with my wish for Creative Companions/Cohorts, I joined a private mail art group, which was unrelated to August Moon but the opportunity came up while in the midst of it. It is an intimate group of less than 10 people, and intimate groups are something I like being part of, but I am starting with connecting just to the leader of the group and I have a seed of an idea for the first mailing to take place next week:

Let me see how this idea will unfold...

There is another connection I've made through August Moon and a possible connection that might take place, and these budding connections are giving me hope that I really can build the circle of like-minded creatives and the support I need to continue my journey on the path toward a creative career...

And this creative career path has been a very long time coming. EACH and EVERY time I take a skills test or business quiz, ARTIST comes up EACH and EVERY time! This includes one quiz I took just the other day at this site. It was called the 'calling card' quiz, which helps you figure out your 'calling', the thing you're best at and, needless to say, ARTIST came up first in a list of 3 qualities, followed by SOCIAL, then REALISTIC...

Color me so-not-surprised! ;)

But living a life as an Artist is not an easy one and the myth of that is continually being perpetuated. I have some ideas about why this might be, but while I continue to ponder my personal theory, why not read this blog post from Seth Apter about his thoughts on why we are so reluctant to claim ourselves as Artists...

In the meantime, I will look toward finishing this little project that I began a few weeks ago, so it won't sit around for 2 years waiting to be completed:

I've shared a few pics of this Project In Process at my Facebook page already, but it's not quite complete...

And I will work on being kind to myself as I 'gently go' forward as August turns to September and Summer turns to Fall...whether that little project is completed or not! ;)

1 comment:

Kathryn Hansen said...

I read this, this morning on a friends blog and thought it was really appropriate for me, maybe it will be for you too Monica:

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.