Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Project in Process Completed: My 'Shabby Scraps' Journal!

FINALLY...

After 2 years, it's FINALLY finished...

Today, I am happy to share a project that took over 2 years to complete - what I call my 'shabby scraps' journal!

Signatures are finally hand-bound with a lace tie closure using vintage and vintage-style buttons to keep it all together...

I began this journal over 2 years ago, as well as another journal I began not long after which was donated for this years Artful Journey Retreat fundraiser once that other journal was completed. I am happy to say that I FINALLY completed the first journal I began those many moons ago...

 Vintage pre-cut scraps from a jar o' scraps bought at a flea market make up the cover of this journal...

The pages were completed and sorted into signatures and it was these signatures that needed to be bound into the journal but I knew it could prove to be a daunting task because I was going to hand sew these thick and juicy signatures into the spine of my book cover, instead of machine sew them, as the e-course curriculum for "Remains of the Day Journal" suggested...

Hand-sewn signatures using red thread for visual punch...

However, machine sewing these signatures is not an option I am confortable with. My issue with using a sewing machine for sewing signatures into a book is that the stitch length is still quite small, even after setting it to the longest stitch, and you can wind up with perforated papers that will eventually tear and fall out of your book...

A peek at a some pages from my shabby scraps journal which include a few transparent envelopes made using plastic packaging from cereal boxes...

While I do not aim to make 'archival quality' books for longevity, I do want my art-full books to last as long as I am around to use and play with them...

The first page of my book made from tearing up a large watercolor painting from my grandmother - the other side can be seen in the previous photo above...

Yes, I said 'play' with my books! I don't know why, but I do look upon art-full books as a kind of toy, for big kids, if you will...

Another portion of the torn up watercolor painting makes up the last page of my art-full journal

After all, there is much you can do with pages and envelopes and folding pages that make an art-full book more like a toy of surprises, than a book you read and learn from...

Another transparent envelope from a plastic cereal bag - if you look carefully, you can see a tuba player peeking at you! You can click the image for a larger view...

This journal is filled with more visual surprises than 3-dimensional ones, but it is FUN to look through and I will be sure to share more pages from this completed journal soon...

A small bit of hand sewing in my shabby scrap journal - I eventually added a date-stamp to this section for the completion date of this colorful handmade journal...

Thanks for reading and I hope you make something art-FULL today!

No comments: