Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Book Project - A New Gratitude Journal

Hello Blog!
I am so excited to be back sharing my creative projects with you again. I spent more time away than I should have, but I can only say that the summer weather began to work its magic on me and I felt a need to play at an old-fashioned 'summer vacation'!

I am still feeling that pull to play and I have made quite a few book projects during my time away that I know you'll love learning about, such as my new gratitude journal:

My new little gratitude journal of an altered spiral notebook with collage, stitching and washi tape...

You might remember that I made a gratitude journal last year and though I am usually good at keeping up this practice of gratitude, I fell behind after moving to my new home, but I eventually filled up my old handmade gratitude journal. That of course meant I would need a new gratitude journal and of course I wanted to make it...

This time around though, I wanted a quick and simple journal to make so I could quickly resume my nightly gratitude practice. Luckily, I discovered some inspiration through the Somerset Studios website with this fun idea for a bird-themed journal - however, I made up my own version of this project to make a new gratitude journal and here is my process:

I used some of my own bird-theme rubber stamps, along with some flower stamps so I can look at various forms of nature each time I use my journal...


As you can see, I also added words using a set of small alphabet stamps from my rubber stamp arsenal.

Of course, there has to be sheet music to reflect my love of music and hint at the music birds make...and I figured out how my collage layout would be placed on the front and back covers of my new journal:


I used my sewing machine to sew along the edges of the stamped bird images...


I also did some hand sewing for the final piece in the front cover...


...and the collage pages were glued to the covers with the addition of washi tape for some embellishment, which extended to the inner front and back covers...

I did not add much embellishment to the inner back cover since this is where the date-stamp will go...

Unfortunately, I did not date-stamp my new journal, as I often do when I complete a new book form, but I might be able to find the date if I search my to-do lists, then I can add a decorative sate-stamp, which I've been doing to many of my little books lately. I'll be sure to share these date-stamps in an upcoming blog post as I continue to share my many book projects I've been working on these past few weeks...

I am very happy with this new gratitude journal but I do wonder what the next journal will look like since it seems I need a new book form with each new gratitude journal I make! ;)

The Fourth of July holiday is a few days away, so I will be out with my dear boyfriend celebrating independence and, of course, CREATIVE FREEDOM!

I'll see you next time, Dear Blog!

4 comments:

Lucia Sasaki said...

Hi!
Beautiful Gratitude Journal.
Very inspiring.
Thanks for sharing.

Eddie Bluelights said...

Great project Monica
You are very talented ~ Eddie

Glenda Hoagland said...

Excellent process, I love what you did to the front and back cover. I really need to make gratitude journal. You are an inspiration to me.

Kelly Warren said...

Lovely! I've been blogging sparsely this summer well. I need to get back in the swing!