Thursday, April 10, 2014

"Bird in the Hand" - Part 4

Hello Dear Blog Readers,
Today is the final installment of the pages from my art book "Bird in the Hand" made at An Artful Journey Retreat this past February...but there are book making projects I've been working on lately that I think you will love, so the book making goodness is not over!

Are you getting curious about my current book making projects yet? Then let's look at the last pics of my "Bird in the Hand" art book so I can share a sneak peek of my latest book projects...

"Bird in the Hand" Pages from Signature #2 - Final Pages...


On the right: another page torn from the vintage watercolor painting...

On the left: page painted by me using drip techniques that happen to match the opposite page...

On the right: Vintage tea-dyed lace that was dyed the day before I left for the retreat!

Detail shot of rubber stamping on the left side page...


I had a lot of fun finding different ways to stitch my pages to make them look interesting...

I loved adding velvet ribbon to the muslin fabric on these pages - what contrast in textures!

The end of the line...


I forgot to pack my date stamping kit for the retreat so I could stamp the completion date of this art book, but I found my kit when I returned home and the date of completion certainly didn't change, so adding it after the actual day was not a problem...


And I added the date to the muslin side of the 'signature wrap' of my book...


Fabric scraps given to me from fellow classmates made the 'signature wrap' look better than I could have hoped for using my fabric scraps alone! The brown fabric with ginkgo leaves, sheer rust organza that I sewed in pleats, the fabric with 'handwriting' in shades of peach-gold and burgundy, the cream 'crinkle' fabric and 'threaded' upholstery fabric for the inner book covers - These fabrics will always remind me of my fellow classmates and their generosity!

Fabric with 'handwriting' in burgundy, my favorite color - how I LOVE this!!


It might seem like the end of my art book, but not really - many of these pages will eventually be filled with art and collage and some journaling...and maybe even some feathers!

I found these feathers tucked away among my many craft supplies and I just might add some of them to the pages in my art book! I'll be sure to share how they look when I get around to doing that and filling in my artful pages, but lately I've been busy playing with some of the techniques I learned at the retreat by making a few new books...

Recent Book Art Projects
There are some book projects I've been working on for the past few weeks and I've actually shared a few peeks at some of these books, so let's peek at them again! Here is the first book project:




...and here are recent peeks at two book projects I've been playing with lately:




These book projects are actually samples I've been working on for a special workshop I was asked to create for some young sewing students! It's been a LOT of fun finding ways to use some of the new techniques I learned and to adapt them for young sewers who don't have experience with book arts. I am SO excited to introduce them to book making in a way that includes their love of fabric and sewing, which is something I love too!

I got to play with a sewing textile that I don't generally use for book arts, but this textile makes a fun and unique book cover...but I'll talk more about that next week!

I might share a few more peeks of the book samples on Sunday Snippets, so be sure to stay tuned for all the creative goodness happening here!

No comments: