Tuesday, January 14, 2014

A New Year of New Challenges...

Hello and Happy (Belated?!?) New Year Dear Blog Readers!
It's barely the start of a new year and it already feels like its flying by quickly - how is that possible??

Due to my recent move into a new home with my dear boyfriend, and the addition of the holiday season, I've been swamped with unpacking and settling in...and settling in is taking much longer than I anticipated. Especially since I jettisoned some furniture from my old creative play-space, namely the two main tables I used for 1) my sewing machines and 2) for holding odds and ends...

My old sewing table just before the move took place - my machines are still waiting to be unpacked =-(

My old worktable: meant to be used for cutting clothes to sew, it became a catch-all for bits and bobs instead

When I had both tables I could use the space underneath them for storing boxes of fabrics, stuffing or other items. Now, all the goods are just out in the open with no place to go, no place to be stored...

Though there is a pile of bins and boxes in the middle of the room, it IS giving me an idea for the new layout* of this studio space...

...and with no table to work with, I have no place to do any creative work and no place to teach my in-home workshops. This means the workshop I had planned for this month (Calendar Compositions) won't be happening for awhile...


Luckily, I do have a place to teach and I will begin teaching one of my workshops at Los Angeles Valley College (LAVC) Community Services Department!

My very first workshop for LAVC will be held next weekend and I sure hope to get some students for it! I listed this workshop at the start of last year as "Meaningful Mail Art Postcard"- it can be found at the bottom of my Upcoming Events page. In the LAVC catalog, it is simply called "Mail Art Postcard". Here are the details for the original workshop, as listed on my page from last year:

"Here is what you will learn:
  • You will learn a simple wax resist technique to create a colorful background for your postcard
  •  Through sharing a meaningful story of personal values you will glean a word that will be the inspiration for your postcard
  • You will layer paper ephemera and decorative tapes to create a collage
  • You will add your meaningful word from your shared story onto your postcard, then address it to yourself
Now here is the twist:
I will collect your postcard and mail it to you when you least expect it as a reminder of your meaningful values!"



I thought this workshop would be a great way to start the new year with art and creativity for those who are looking for a fun and creative way to start their new year...and it will be a great way for me to start my new year, helping others unlock their creativity, something I enjoy doing.

IN OTHER NEWS:
It has been a challenge to settle into a new routine since moving, especially with no real studio space to actually WORK IN, but I have begun to make some progress in organizing the new studio space. Here is how the closet looked in the first weeks of being in the new home:

I have so many packed supplies, I can hardly get to the closet to organize it; also, the shelf is not being well utilized to hold my supplies...

And here is how it looks after some organizing and unpacking took place last week:

NOW, I can actually walk to the closet and open the drawers to the dresser/storage unit and more supplies are being stored on the shelf - WHEW!

My closet in this new studio space contains an old dresser I used to use for storing my personal collection of single teacups and saucers. I'm not sure if I will continue to keep this piece, but I do like the pop of color when I look in that part of the room. I plan to have the closet doors removed for more accessibility and I hope to add an extra shelf to better utilize the upper region of the closet.

Of course, I could also begin working on my many projects that are being stored in boxes and bins to start stream-lining all the stuff I have!

Here's to new beginnings for a new home and a new year!


* - I may buy a new worktable for the new studio and use it in the MIDDLE of the room...it would be a good set-up when I'm able to begin teaching from home again!

2 comments:

Kathryn Hansen said...

should i tell you that i still have a box in my closet that was never unpacked from 15 years ago!! so you're doing very well!!!

The Creative Beast said...

LOL! Thanks For sharing that Kathryn - it made me feel MUCH better about my unpacking progress!