Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Blogtoberfest 2013 - Talkative Tuesday

Hello Dear Blog Readers!
Can you believe that there are only 3 days left of Blogtoberfest? Time does fly, especially when ones life is packed with change and transition...

Many of you readers know that I have been cleaning and clearing a lot out of my home in an effort to manifest better things into my life, like more meaningful and creative work, more teaching and sharing my skills and experience with others and, especially, a new home in a nice neighborhood, something I first wrote about in this blog post...

One way I have been attempting to clean and clear my abundant sewing supplies has been to start cutting the projects my fabrics were bought/meant for!

Fabric bought to make aprons is now cut into an apron to be sewn!

I began cutting fabric projects in the hopes I can head to this sewing studio to rent some studio time to use the industrial machines to sew on. The industrial machines are much faster than home sewing machines, which means I would get more sewing accomplished in less time!

I am also cutting some projects that can be made up on my overlock sewing machine at home, and this newest project can be assembled in 10 to 20 minute time slots since it's a 'patchwork' project - my recycled t-shirt dress in shades of periwinkle and indigo blues:

The bodice/top is already sewn together - now to sew the 'patches' together and assemble all parts of the dress...

Cutting my projects in preparation for sewing might have been one of the best ideas I've had for awhile, especially since cutting projects is my least favorite aspect of sewing!

When I have an idea to create a new garment, I go through the concept of creating the garment in my head so often, I forget that it still needs to be CUT OUT before I can actually sew it into reality!

If I can just cut my projects in preparation to sewing them, I think I can downsize my bins of fabrics so there will be less to take with me when I move...

Yes, Dear Blog Readers, it now looks like I will be moving in the near future and I am struggling with this big change and transition...which made me think of Day of the Dead...

"Day of the Dead" aka "Dia De Los Muertos", celebrates loved ones who have transitioned from this life into a new life in another world...

This past weekend, I attended a Day of the Dead festival at a local museum. I saw a performance of a wonderful storyteller, who performs with his wife and children and it was a wonderful show with amazing music.

Now, why am I thinking of Day of the Dead as a move from my home is imminent?

While watching the storytelling, there seemed to be many messages in the course of the show, which was about the meaning and history of Day of the Dead:

Day of the Dead is not about the finality of Death because Death is not final but a transition into another world and so, Day of the Dead is a CELEBRATION of TRANSITION

So, I am trying to embrace and celebrate this change and transition as it comes into my life...

I hope to share this chapter of my life with you in the weeks to come, though it may not be easy as my time becomes filled with the logistics of packing and moving, but I might be able to share my prepped projects as they become completed projects, so be sure to stay tuned!

No comments: