Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Blogtoberfest 2013 - Talkative Tuesday

Hello Dear Blog Readers,
I am not sure how to approach this week of Talkative Tuesday, especially since I have been writing a bit of a serial to share my Office Art Book and the horrible job that launched it...

I recently shared that I have taken on a part-time job, which I have done to bring in much needed money to cover my living expenses, since my efforts to launch my creative career, which includes teaching, is taking longer than I expected...

Now, I thought I would continue with this line of sharing, but I really have no desire to share anything about my part-time job, despite it being related to the arts and empowering women in the arts, which are closely related to some of my personal values of ART and COMMUNITY...this is because my new work environment is sadly similar to my previous work environment* - a non-profit with 'scarcity mentality',  a 'put out fires' approach to planning work, and a somewhat isolating environment...

No, I do not wish to share anything about this new work situation I find myself in, AT ALL...

So what to talk about on Talkative Tuesday??

Perhaps a few bullet points about myself to let some new readers, visiting by way of Blogtoberfest, learn a little bit about me...and perhaps I'll continue to learn more about myself!

Here I am, in a few 'bullet points':

My grandmother taught me to sew by hand when I was about 6 years old - I then began to sew all my own dolls and doll clothes...then make them to sell:

I make boy dolls as well as girl dolls! I also do custom work to match hair and eye color...

Making dolls and doll clothes might be why I have always had a love of clothes, fashion and style...and costumes

My grandmother taught me to sew on a sewing machine at the age of 11. I still have this machine and the overlock machine she helped me to buy when I completed my learning in fashion design and pattern drafting:


When I was a young girl I loved drawing flowers in pink and red...

As I grew older, I was never a fan of the color red or wearing it (until recently!) mostly because of some of the negative aspects of the color, but I wear it for the positive aspects now - energy, passion, love!
 
I have yet to out grow the color pink...and I eventually returned to the combo of pink and red for a skirt I made from old t-shirts...

I have seen this photo of my skirt on MANY Pinterest boards - I may have to create an online workshop for this project!

My grandmother taught me the basics of knitting - knit and purl, decrease and bind-off. I did not begin to learn more advanced knitting skills until 5 years ago...

A shawl project I hope to complete by next month - I said that last year but this year I'm DETERMINED!

When I returned to knitting in my late 20's, I had to call the yarn store I had visited to ask someone to help me remember how to bind off my knitting! And we managed it over the phone!!

In my late teens/early twenties, I stopped sewing for two whole years because I was frustrated with the results I was getting from my projects, many of which were cut on the fly WITHOUT A PATTERN!! No wonder my projects weren't working...

I later learned that my great grandmother had a talent for looking at a person and cutting a garment from fabric WITHOUT A PATTERN, and the garment would fit...I had to learn pattern drafting to make this happen. Some things don't always get handed down from generation to generation ;)

I studied Fashion Design and Pattern Drafting because I wanted to make myself better fitting historical costumes! Okay, and better fitting clothes...but mostly costumes!

One of many costumes I wear at Renaissance Faire - I made the skirt, chemise, bodice and trimmed my hat!

I always loved making my own clothes so I could wear something no one else had...

A dress made from various t-shirts - I'm creating another dress in shades of periwinkle and blue...

I have been a big vintage fan since my teens, whether it was clothing, accessories or housewares...

A vintage teacup and saucer that belonged to my grandmother - the acorn doesn't fall far from the tree!

Working with my hands provides a great deal of accomplishment, which adds to my self esteem about my abilities and capability in Life...

Small hand-crafted hand-bound notebooks - you can find them for sale in my Etsy shop

I really enjoy teaching my skills and sharing my experience with others so they can have the same feelings of accomplishment and self esteem - they are great feelings to have!

***   ***   ***

Well, I think that is more than enough bullet points to share today...and I also think this was more fun than talking about office jobs!!

There is only more Talkative Tuesday before the end of Blogtoberfest - I'm not sure what I will talk about next week, but I do hope you stop by to visit...maybe I will finally get around to having a giveaway next week before Blogtoberfest ends, so stay tuned!


* - In my post of '6 or 7 Thoughts on Saturday', I shared that I am working for a non-profit arts organization and many of the thoughts/questions that I shared are an outcome from my previous and current work experiences with non-profits

No comments: