Tuesday, August 13, 2013

A Quick Quilt Project...

Hello Dear Blog Readers,
I hope you enjoyed a weekend filled with creativity! I know I did...

My First Machine Quilt Project!
I actually made a small quilt project this weekend, with the help of some wonderful ladies at Baron's Fabrics. Here is how it all came about...

All supplies were provided for this project, which was part of a demo for some high tech embroidery sewing machines...

I have known about this fabric shop for MANY years, but never went to see it, knowing it was full of high end fabrics, which I don't work with enough to warrant spending so much money on. However, I thought I would take a peek to see if it might yield some opportunities for teaching some of my creative workshop ideas...

Piecing together the elements of my quilt project -  a small wall hanging!

Sadly, the shop is closing down it's fabric section but it IS keeping the machine sales and workshops. I looked at the many high tech sewing machines and began to think about how some of the new decorative stitching or embroidery machines could add another level to my book making, such as this lovely butterfly used for a book cover:

An embroidered butterfly is adorning my quilt project...

One of the women began to talk to me about these fantastic machines and she asked one of the sales people to demo one of the larger embroidery machines...it turns out, I was speaking with the owner of the store!

Cotton batting is added to give the quilt design some 'loft', or puffiness ;)

The back of my quilt project which shows the quilt stitching, done by sewing machine, not by hand (aka "the old fashioned way")

Of course, I spoke with her about my sewing skills, my work in costumes and my book making and creative workshops...

A quick way to sew quilt binding onto a quilt using the sewing machine...

She became interested in seeing what I do, so she invited me to join her upcoming machine demo class, which involved making the quilt project...

The quilt binding uses the 'stitch-in-the-ditch' technique on the front of the quilt...

She asked me to bring some of my workshop projects to share with her and she also offered that I could participate in this demo workshop for FREE!!!

A decorative stitch was used for this 'stitch-in-the-ditch' technique to make a pretty finish...

I couldn't believe my luck!!

I brought a few book making projects that involve sewing paper, and I wore a favorite t-shirt skirt I've made*, which the women LOVED seeing and I think a few would love to learn to make their own version of my skirt!

Using the high tech machines opened my eyes to many possibilities, like creating my own crystal embellishment designs:

A sunburst crystal design shines in my quilt project...

I had a lot of fun being with other creative ladies and I had fun learning more about these amazing high tech sewing machines. I was almost embarrassed to share what sewing machines I use in my work, because they are so old and low tech - I felt like an 'old timer' despite being one of the youngest people in this workshop/demo!!

I got to speak with the owner briefly about some of my creative workshop ideas and she gave me some great information about the age range of her students and what they look for in creative projects. She invited me to come up with some curriculum ideas and meet with her again in a few weeks...

My finished quilt wall hanging with embroidery, button holes and crystal embellishments...

I sure do hope this becomes a great teaching opportunity, but if it doesn't, I still had an opportunity to learn about some of the latest developments in sewing machines. I may have to find a way to own one so I can add new layers to my book making work, and my general sewing projects as well.

In the meantime, I'll be sharing a different project later this week, that involves a little mail art, so be sure to stay tuned!


* - I've actually seen my skirt pinned on quite a few boards at Pinterest; methinks it's time to create a workshop for folks to learn how to make their own skirt!!! ;)

1 comment:

Kathryn Hansen said...

from a former sewer...that does look fun!!!

and i've always thought that t-shirt skirt was fabulous...it doesn't surprise me that you have hits on it!