Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Weekend Activites...

Hello Dear Blog Readers,
I hope you all enjoyed a fun-filled weekend that included some creative field trips or projects. My weekend certainly included both!

Creative Field Trip
Friday morning I went on a creative field trip with Kristen, a fellow book lover and journal maker. We made a trip to Bergamot Station to visit some of the galleries and to peek at Hiromi Paper and there was lots to see!

Kristen had never been to Hiromi Paper and had not even known about it until I shared my love of this wonderful paper shop with her. She loved seeing the many gorgeous papers available! Neither of us bought any papers but I did purchase my very own Japanese Screw Punch so I can create some special Japanese Stab Stitch books. It was a great day of art and lovely weather in Santa Monica...

My new screw punch with an extra hole punch in a smaller size; I can't wait to get back to making some stab stitch books again!


Silverlake Craft Fair
On Saturday, I went to the Silverlake Art*Craft*Vintage Fair in the hopes of selling some of my book goods, or to get some folks interested in my creative workshops. I'm sad to report that this outing was much like the last outing...


My set-up was a little different since I forgot to bring one of my display items and the vintage items were not as plentiful. I had a little time to check out other vintage vendors before the fair officially opened and I realized that my esthetic is not in alignment with the esthetic of the other 'vintage' vendors at this fair...but there were a few people interested in taking some of my creative workshops who signed up on my email list!

My hand-bound books and art books on display - they got a few folks interested in joining future workshops I'll be offering!

I made sure to bring a project with me in case I had a lot of downtime on my hands, which I did. I stitched up my first two tea coasters, completed the third coaster and began knitting a third coaster:

I'm nearly ready to move on to the embroidery part of these coasters!

I barely made $20 for my efforts at the fair and now that I see my particular visual style doesn't match the Silverlake esthetic, I have decided that I will not be returning to this particular venue. However, someone was giving out promo cards for a new craft fair that is opening elsewhere in Los Angeles and I just might check it out to see if it is one that will support my style of hand made books...I'll keep you posted!

Changes To Be Made...
Since my experience at Silverlake last month, I have been thinking about how I will move forward in a way that will bring higher financial earnings into my life. I am considering closing down my vintage goods shop on Etsy and selling the remaining items to a friend who sells vintage goods at an antique mall. This change could allow me to focus more on handcrafted goods, not to mention clearing some much needed space in my home. 

I have also been considering making rag dolls and stuffed toys again. When I have shared these items here on my blog, they get a very enthusiastic response!  I recently shared a unique rag doll I made a few years ago on my Facebook page and got some comments about it. It was made to help a coworker vent her frustration with a department supervisor and I had a lot of fun making it and people love seeing it! It's making me think that there just might be a market for such a doll...

My "Mad Doll" encourages you to join the 'dark side' - after all, cookies ARE yummy! ;)

In Other News:
My blog turns 4 years old on July 29! I can not believe that 4 years have already sped by so quickly. I will certainly be celebrating with some kind of a giveaway so be sure to stay tuned for it.

I have really enjoyed my blog and the community that has stemmed from it. I have met many wonderful people through my blog and I'm so grateful to know so many creative souls! This blog has been a wonderful means of creating a supportive community and I hope to be blogging for four times 4 more years to come...

Thank YOU for being a part of my community and stopping by to read about my creative adventures and experiments! I hope you find my posts inspiring and that you begin some creative experiments of your own. If you have, I'd love to hear about them!

Stay tuned for more creative goodness to come!

1 comment:

Kathryn Hansen said...

Sounds like you're making some really sound creative moves!! It's always a learning experience, isn't it?!!!!

going to the art festivals in Laguna Beach this weekend...that's always so much fun!!