Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Brushing Up My Book Binding Skills

Hello to my fellow creative experimenters! I hope you are engaging in some creative projects and learning new things. I certainly have been...

Book Binding With Wendy!
As I mentioned in a previous post, I have been learning a lot in Lilla Rogers "Make Art That Sells" workshop, but I made some time to brush up on my book binding skills with my wonderful book binding instructor, Wendy Poma.

Wendy was offering her Traditional Bound Book workshop, which I needed to do since she gave me supplies to make such a book at home when my first book in an early workshop didn't quite line up; sadly, the materials sat around for over two years! I made sure to have my signatures tied and ready to go since I would be making TWO books in one workshop. I sure did have my work cut out for me!

My two codex books ready for glue to be applied to the spines...

Being in the workshop with many fellow creatives wanting to learn book binding was just what my spirit needed and we all fell to work and learning with joyful enthusiasm, though many participants were fascinated that I was making TWO BOOKS in the workshop...of course I had to tell them I have taken the workshop before!

My extra book using gift wrap paper I found in a gift shop for my book cover - I've planned the look of this book for over two years!

As the workshop began, the memory of making a codex book began to come back to me...

Gluing the signatures together to create the book block...

Gluing the book boards to the cover paper...

Wrapping the cover paper inside the book covers, adding a matching centerpiece and ribbon for a book marker, then finally gluing the book block into the spine of the book...and waiting for 48 hours as it cured!


But I now have two wonderful little journals to keep and to use...maybe one will become a gratitude journal!

Gratitude and Mutual Appreciation
Speaking of gratitude, it was great to catch up with Wendy and to share some of my doings with her. She was excited to learn that I had begun to teach creative workshops at my home and still more excited when I shared my application proposals to teach at my local community college. Wendy was quick to share other places for me to teach at and she even said I could use her as a reference for teaching!!

I just have to say that Wendy is actually my role model for teaching - cheerful and enthusiastic, Wendy definitely does share what she loves (book binding) and makes it seem incredibly easy to do. I adore her so much I brought a little gift for her to show her my appreciation for all that she has taught me:


I completed one of my exposed spine books to give her, using a small embossed tin made as practice for the large tin covers we used in another workshop last year...


I knew I would be able to use the embossing practice tin to complete one of my small books and I knew I would give to it to Wendy. Without her wonderful teaching skills, I would not have been able to figure out how to create an 'exposed spine' book...


Wendy was really happy to get one of my specially bound books and that made me feel very proud of my skills, though I know I still have so much to learn about book binding, but I do believe that learning from Wendy has given me a very good foundation of skills to start from!

I only hope that I can one day convey as much enthusiasm and provide just as strong a learning foundation as I continue on my path of teaching, or sharing what I love with others.

Do you have special people in your life that you treasure who have taught you important skills that you value?? If so, reach out and let them know how much they mean to you - it will bring joy to you both, I guarantee it!!

There is more creative goodness to be shared in my next blog post, so be sure to stay tuned!

3 comments:

Amelia said...

Oh my, I wish I'd been there too. I love book-making, book-binding etc as you prob know :) I keep plotting a new book I'm going to make in my mind for a show coming up at the end of the year.

Good luck with you all your teaching applications. I just put a quote in my latest post about abundance - there is such a good book I discovered and it talks about gratitude too like you do here. I agree!

Amelia.x

Kathryn Hansen said...

Hi Monica!! Your books are SO cool...love them!! When I was in college I use to make paper and then bind them into books...it was so much fun!

Glenda Hoagland said...

Books look so great, I must take a class like that some day to add to my bookbinding expertise. I find that looking at the books you make are so inspiring.