Wednesday, July 31, 2013

A Different File Folder Book!

Hello Dear Blog Readers!
Today I am excited to share another book project with you, made using file folders, but not like the file folder book being given away this week! This is a different file folder book...

Long File Folder Book
This project was inspired by a local book maker and author, Jeannine Stein, who was teaching a workshop earlier this year on making her version of a file folder book, using the full length of a file folder. She shared her tutorial for file folder books on her blog and I loved this simple, yet fun idea.

While perusing her fabulous and inspiring blog, I found a post about making envelopes and adding them to hand-bound books. I loved this idea and thought it would be great to add this idea to her file folder book concept! Here is how my other file folder book came together...


I had a packet of old file folders I bought from Target many years ago that were not being used for their original purpose, so it was time to re-purpose them and put them to good use...in the form of a BOOK! The sides were folded into the center fold and the edges taped down to create pockets.


I made a 6 page signature using a combination of plain and lined paper. I usually like to use plain, lined and graph paper in my personal book projects, but I had some nice 'parchment' paper that I thought would look nice in this book...

'Parchment' paper gives the file folder book a 'vintage' feel =-)

Then I remembered some colored paper in my extensive stash of papers that would match the craft brown paper of the folder - this would be my envelope pocket...


I used the envelope template found in the book Good Mail Day, which I use often for my personal mail art projects. This was a good size for a pocket envelope...


The trickiest part of this envelope was NOT gluing it BEFORE sewing it into the spine of the book! (But, then again, I was making a LOT of envelopes on this day with a LOT of gluing) The gluing would have to take place AFTER the envelope was sewn into the spine...


I used hemp twine for the binding, in keeping with the 'natural feel of the materials...

A tag is added, but I might make some special tags for this book...

The cover pockets can hold tags, maps, brochures or business cards...even some photos!

You might be wondering just what I will use this book for. I think I will use it for recording my thrift shop/flea market/yard sale adventures. I like to record my finds and keep the receipts, in case I decide to sell the goods later...


Another completed book project!

I began to assemble this project back in June, so the completion time for this PiP was faster than some of my projects, which is rather silly considering how quickly this project comes together. I might add some embellishment on the front and back cover of my file folder book and I might try to make a few more of these books as well!

If I do, you can be sure it will be shared here for your creative inspiration, so stay tuned!


PS: there is still time to enter the giveaway for a specially made file folder book! Just check out the details for the book and how to enter to win it at THIS BLOG POST - you have until MIDNIGHT tomorrow, Pacific Standard Time. Good luck!

6 comments:

Kathryn Hansen said...

i really like this folder journal too!

Glenda Hoagland said...

Love it, you have such a wide variety of book styles. So wonderful

Kelly Warren said...

Very fun!

Kelly Warren said...

Very fun!

Gill said...

This is great - thank you!!

Seth said...

Very cool! I always love when envelopes are incorporated into handmade books.