Thursday, May 9, 2013

Creating an Inspiration Card Deck - Part III

Hello Dear Blog Readers!
Today is the third installment of my process for making my inspiration card deck for the swap hosted by Jessica Brogan of the blog "In Search of Dessert", but first a sneak peek at my upcoming workshop taking place on May 19...

Word Tool Book Workshop
I recently acquired a copy of the book "Inner Excavation" written by Liz Lamoreux. I had heard about one of the writing exercises in this post by this wonderful blog buddy, and I was intrigued with the concept...

After acquiring my own copy of "Inner Excavation", I read through the exercise and really liked it, but thought it might be fun to create a small book of the words gathered using this exercise, so I created my "Word Tool Book with Protective Box" workshop. I think making the book will be just as much fun as gathering the words to go into it...


I made two samples as I worked out the box and case design but I like the decorative paper version best:


You can read more details about my workshop on my events page. This workshop will be the last in-home workshop as I take time during the summer to participate in a few craft fairs and get my work seen by the public at large. You can contact me using my email in the sidebar to join in the fun!

And now for the last installment of my inspiration card deck...

Designing the Back of the Deck
In my last post, I mentioned how I like the look and feel of natural craft brown paper and cardboard, which I wanted to retain in my deck of cards...


I realized the best way to do this was by using rubber stamps and stamping ink to create a design...


My first color choices for stamping ink colors: Sepia Brown and a deep Burgundy color. I eventually added one other color, which you'll see shortly...


I was lucky enough to have some rubber stamps that would be large enough to cover a large amount of surface at once, so I would not have to continually be stamping for hours on end! Using these stamp designs meant I was only rubber stamping for less than an hour ;)


I decided to add color interest with this warm yellow-orange color - it looks great mixed with sepia brown or burgundy...here is how the stamps looked covering the back surface of the cereal boxes:


I could see the space between the rows of stamping seemed a bit wide so I added a tiny embellishment stamp of a 7-point star and used the third color, which added a brightness to the overall design, if I do say so myself!


Now that the card boards were fully covered, I could cut down my cards and add my quotes!

Cuts and Quotes
When I decided I was going to join this swap, I immediately went searching for quotes that were inspiring quotes on Life or Art. I found 52 quotes, but decided to repeat two pages of quotes for the deck I would be sending. I do hope to use the whole 52 quotes for creating a special deck of my own...

I was so excited to be getting to the cutting portion of this project! It meant I would be adding my inspiring quotes, which meant I'd be able to read them over and over as I glued them down - talk about positive reinforcement!


Due to the layered color of the card base, I felt a little extra color was needed for each quote, which meant that it would take a little longer to glue the quotes onto my cards - DOH!!


And it took a little longer than I expected to cut each quote to fit my deck of cards - I had not properly measured a margin for the quotes to fit into the cards, so they got aligned on the diagonal, which I happen to like anyway. Here are two of my cards with quotes and attributions:


All that was needed was to add my blog and contact info on the back of each card, just in case anyone wants to touch base to let me know if they like the card, the quote or maybe even to say hello!!

 VOILA! My Inspirational Card Deck is complete!

According to Jessica, every participant should expect to receive their individual decks sometime this month. I can't wait to see all the wonderful art I will get in the mail from participating in this project! I'll be sure to share it with you when it arrives...in the meantime, I hope my detailed step-by-step process will inspire you to create your own deck of cards using quotes that resonate for YOU!

In Other News:
I heard about an amazing exhibit of line drawings made by John Lennon that would be taking place for three days only. I thought it was an amazing coincidence since I had been watching two different documentaries about John Lennon and Yoko Ono, both of which detailed their political activism using their art. My dear boyfriend and I made a trip to view the drawings - sadly, no photography was allowed, but I could get a photo of the window poster:


And I found a link where you can view many of the prints that made up this exhibit, which you can check out HERE. I think you'll be inspired by the Real Love: The Drawings for Sean - they are full of whimsy and color! Looking at the drawings began to inspire me to begin picking up my pencil to practice drawing again...which I may be doing as part of the Botanical Journal workshop I'm participating in =-)

I have lots more creative adventures to share so be sure to stay tuned!

1 comment:

Kathryn Hansen said...

darn...can't believe i missed that show! i didn't see your post in time!!! :(