Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Creating an Inspiration Card Deck - Part II

Hello Dear Blog Readers!
Today is Part II of my 3-part series on how I made my inspiration card deck for Jessica Brogan's card swap but first, an update on the outcome of my art book submissions for exhibit...

My Art Book Submissions
Some of you may remember I submitted two art books in April for exhibit in a local eco-event. During the weekend, I received an email response regarding my art book submissions for the WorldFest Art Exhibit. Although the Art Director was very enthusiastic about my art books, it seems the jury panel did not think my art would fit the look of the art they are going with for their event and they rejected my submissions...

 Re-purposed, recycled art books made with traditional book binding techniques, with a twist

Though I am a little disappointed that my art books were rejected for exhibit, they certainly received a lot of praise from the Art Director and that brightened my day. In fact the Art Director suggested I make more books and sell them at the Renegade Craft Fair!! I have been thinking of looking into this fair during the summer to attempt participating in the winter event...maybe this is a sign from the Universe! In the meantime, the books will be available for sale in my Etsy shop within the week.

Now, lets continue with my process for making a deck of inspirational cards!

My Deck of Cards Continues...
Here is where I left off in my last post on my process for making my Inspiration Card Deck - I had begun with a layer of paint that was etched with a toothpick, before the paint dried, in a pattern of swirling doodles:


I used three cereal boxes to create my deck of cards, so when each painted surface had dried, I added layers of spray inks...


...which I then glazed to mix the inks together to create a light over-wash.


In the image above, you can see the glaze alongside the mixed inks. Below, you can see the results of glazing the inks over the painted surface...the glazed inks have softened the bright white of the etched design, as well as muting the color of the green paint:

Glazed spray inks over etched paint...

A detail shot of glazed spray inks...

I suppose I could have stopped at this point but I wanted to add one more layer, so I mixed together two shades of gold paints...


And applied the gold paint using some sequin waste for a stencil:



It almost looks like a series of gold grapes scattered on the surface!



I still had the back of the cereal boxes to work with and create a design for, but I like the look and feel of natural craft paper and craft board and wanted to keep it if I could. I also had yet to print the quotes I would use for my deck.

In my next blog post, I will share how I kept the natural craft surface in the design of the back of my cards, as well as the quotes to complete the deck...

I love the look and feel of plain craft paper and cardboard!

In Other News:
I signed up for an interesting mixed media workshop that officially starts May 14. I heard about it through the blog of Kelly Rae Roberts during a big giveaway, but after reading the description of the workshop, hosted by Galia Alena, I decided it was worth buying for myself! It's called "Of The Heart: The Making of an Heirloom" and there is still time to sign up for it, so check it out...and be sure to check out this page and the accompanying video for making a unique journal page using your Word of the Year. I plan to do this with my chosen word, when I make some time in my busy schedule!

I recently heard about a fun online workshop for learning to make botanical images, which is something I would love to do. The instructor, Gina Rossi Armfield, had a giveaway for one free spot and one 50% off spot so I threw my hat into the ring for the giveaway. I got the 50% coupon for a spot in this workshop!! There is already an assignment and I am scrambling to get some botanical images printed for it, but I will be sharing my progress in this workshop in the weeks to come...

I have listed my next creative workshop for this month of May on my events page, but I still have to create a sample for this project!! An image will be up before the end of this week, so be sure to check back for that. It will be my last in-home workshop as I take some time during the summer months to attend a few local craft fairs to bring my work to the public, but I'll resume my workshops in the fall...

I have few other things brewing that I will share in my next blog post, so be sure to stay tuned!!

No comments: