Thursday, May 2, 2013

Creating an Inspiration Card Deck - Part I

Hello Dear Blog Readers!
Back in the month of March, I was working on a fun creative project as part of a swap - creating an Inspiration Card Deck! I have been wanting to share this project with you all, but be aware that this is going to be a 3-part series as I share my step-by-step process for creating my deck of cards...but after you see it, you should be able to create your own deck of cards!

Discovering The Swap
I had heard about the Inspirational Card Deck Swap, that is hosted by blogger Jessica Brogan, through blogger Natasha White after Natasha linked her blog post, where she shares her process for making her cards, in a Facebook group that I had joined...WHEW! that got a little complicated!

Anyway, I had seen the process for making a deck of cards using cereal boxes last year and it looked like a fun project. One day, as I was cruising through the blogosphere, I saw a link to Jessica's swap that was due by the end of March and I decided to join in the fun.

Making My Deck of Cards
I used Natasha's process for making my deck of cards and here is my step-by-step process for how I made my deck of inspirational cards - there are a LOT of photos I shot of my process! This is the beginning of creating my deck - making a background for the cards:


I save cereal boxes to use for creative projects so I had quite a few to choose from. I measured a deck of cards and then crunched some numbers to figure out how many cards I could squeeze from one cereal box. I then looked to see if I had enough of this particular box. I had three, which would definitely create a deck of 52 cards with a few left over in case of any mishaps or mistakes...


I had two little paint tube samples that were freebies from one of my favorite art supply stores and decided to use them for this project. I felt that green would be a great base color, given the brown of the box which would be part of the background design, as you will see soon...


I use glass for my paint palette - it is clear so you can easily see the clarity of the colors you are using, and the dried paint washes off quickly or you can just scrape it off. This palette is a 4x6, but I also have an 8x10 palette...


I wanted a color that was a sage green so I mixed some black and white to create a grey color that would help to mute the brightness of the green I had mixed together. I usually mix my own paint colors so I only have a few basic colors and black and white...they last awhile since I don't paint very often with acrylics...


You can see the original bright green and the grey peeking from the larger mass of the mixed green color...


Now the paint is applied to the cereal box...but before I let it dry fully, I scratch a design in the paint!


Using a toothpick, I begin to swirl and doodle all over the painted surface, allowing the original box design to come through. Now you can see some white and the brown of the original box design peeking through the green paint...

painting

If you look closely, you can even see the bowl in the box photo! This was fun to do, but I wasn't finished yet...

I will continue to share my process for making my Inspiration Card Deck next week, where you'll see how I added layers with spray and bottle inks so be sure to stay tuned!

3 comments:

Gill said...

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do next!

Kathryn Hansen said...

cool! i know Alisa Burke use to paint on cereal boxes too...gotta love upcycled art!!!

Glenda Hoagland said...

Hello my friend, this is going to be a great series. I am looking forward to following it. I too participated in this project. So I am so happy to know that you participated and I will have one of your inspiration cards. Take care and be well.