Tuesday, April 9, 2013

My Identity Crisis and Taking Imperfect Steps...

Hello Dear Blog Readers,
I have been busy with many things lately and one of them has been dealing with an "identity crisis"!

Or maybe I should say, grappling with my idea of who I am and what I am doing in the face of 'experts' proclaiming the 'right' way to share this...

I am happy creating and even happier when I can wear my creations, like the scarf and mitts I am wearing in this picture - I look pretty happy wearing my creativity!


How The Crisis Began:
I have been doing a bit of work figuring out how to proceed with Creative Work, as I continue to forge a career utilizing all my skills. In regards to blogging, I have been reading a lot about keeping to one topic, or 'area of expertise'.

I began to realize that this is not an easy thing for me as I have a great deal of experience in many creative channels...and I enjoy doing them all!

Some of these 'experts' say that you can not be all things to all people and I am not trying to be all things to all people. I am just someone who LOVES to explore creativity through various channels and I have seen how this exploration has had beneficial effects on all the creative channels I work in...not to mention positive effects on my life in general.

Starting to Resolve My Identity Crisis:
While in the middle of this 'identity crisis', I spoke of it to my fabulous coach Pete. We discussed the idea of being all things to all people, which I do not believe I am doing on purpose to 'appease' everyone. I just like being creative and I LOVE variety!

Pete wonderfully suggested that there is nothing wrong with doing so many creative interests and he pointed out that it is like being a multifaceted diamond, which SHINES brilliantly...he also observed that perhaps I could be the leader in showing others how being creatively multifaceted is a GREAT thing to be. I could be the person who shows that doing many creative things is not being 'scattered', but being multidimensional, which we truly are as human beings...

Doing many creative things may appear to be 'scattered', like my worktable is! But it really isn't...

I loved this idea and began to play with it in my mind as I continued to think through how to present this multifaceted aspect of myself more fully here on my blog. As I mulled this over, a big thought came to me and I had to write it down so I could remember it and this is just how I wrote it down:

I AM:
a creative EXPLORER!
EXPERIMENTER/SCIENTIST!
always exploring creative channels because being creative is my
TRUE NORTH!

I just loved being able to write that down and to feel the truth of it!

I shared this Pete and he loved it too! Now, the next step was to figure out how to begin sharing this truth with others, which has always been part of my mission...

Back in the Beginning:
When I began this blog I had a 'mission statement' written as part of my original profile, which listed the many creative channels I worked in/explored. This was my original profile description:
 
i love creating! costumes, knitting, collage, sewing, jewelry, and dolls, art journals and book binding...not to mention dancing, writing and performance art! creativity brings much joy into my life just as it brings joy to the people who receive my hand-crafted goods or watch my performance art/storytelling. i believe in the power of creating with your own hands and i also believe in the power of storytelling...
 
MY MISSION:
to live a life of art-FULL creativity and to share and ENCOURAGE creativity with others in a heartfelt and meaningful way because i simply can not imagine a life without ART, CREATIVITY and PLAYFULNESS in it...can YOU?

WHEW! That is a pretty lengthy profile description, one that was due for an overhaul...

I have also been meaning to create an "About Me" page for my blog and I realized that sharing my new truth would be a great base for creating my 'about me' page.

There are many 'experts' out there proclaiming the 'best' way to write up ones' bio, and looking at them all can get confusing. I decided to start simply, by taking "imperfect steps", as Pete has called them. I began crafting my "About Me" page last week and then launched it. You can read my 'imperfect' bio here. I think it's a good beginning!

Even if I'm not following the 'right' formula for a bio page! ;)

Other Changes:
Recently, a fellow blogger that I have started to read left a comment stating that I should leave my name on my blog and eliminate my comment verifier. They are both valid points and I'm slowly working my way through these, imperfectly!

I will share my name on my blog eventually, but for now, I have made changes to leaving comments on this blog.

Initially, I added the comment verifier to avoid spam, but somehow, I began to see some very clever comments being left on my 'book binding' posts that had links to commercial printing/binding websites, which I did not appreciate. If the links were to some genuinely awesome hand bound book artisans, I would have gladly left the comments.  Since they were not, the comments were removed...

I know using the comment verifier is a time-consuming way to leave a comment and I want to encourage my readers to leave comments easily. To this end, I have changed the way to leave a comment by using the comment approval system. This may or may not work, since I do not have reliable internet at home, but with some patience, I think this system may actually work out...

There are other ideas in the works, but I will share them when they begin to take real form. In the meantime, I hope you will try out this 'creative experiment' with me - Stay tuned to see how it works out!

3 comments:

Kathryn Hansen said...

boy i hear ya...i am the same way...love creating lots of different art, but financially it wasn't paying off until i focused exclusively on my drawings. i really believe you can be true to yourself and figure out a way to make it all work...it was just better for me to focus on one thing.

what if you had a list to right hand side with all your different art venues. people who visited your blog could see all the creative areas and a way to get to each post about them. does that make sense?!! other than that i wouldn't change anything...why limit yourself if you don't want to!!! just be you!

Marianne said...


Your "About Me" page is awesome.
It is hard to describe yourself when you don't fall into one "category" or "niche".
How do you keep it short when you
are so complex?
You managed to do both in a very creative and fun to read way.

Writing an "About Me" page was one of the hardest things I have done on my blog. And I know it is never going to be finished.

willywagtail said...

Forget the 'experts'. They are only sharing their way of doing things. You must do it yours which is just fine. I can see nothing wrong with being multi-facetted. Indeed I wish I was. Cherrie