Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Knitting Project: Head Kerchief!

Hello Dear Blog Readers!
I wanted to share some of the other projects I've been working on since my return from the Artful Journey Retreat, especially since one of these projects was generated while at the retreat - knitting a head kerchief for a fellow classmate!

I had created a little knitted head kerchief for myself sometime ago and I brought it with me to wear at the retreat as a way to keep my hair from falling into my face as I worked, something my hair tends to do. Head kerchiefs are one of the most recent ways I wear my hair away from my face these days and this knitted one has nearly every color I ever wear, so it's very functional:

My kerchief while on my head - you can see the border of eyelet holes better against my dark hair!

I made up the pattern for this head kerchief, using a sock yarn given to me by a knitting buddy. I knitted it up on size 6 circular needles using the garter stitch and increasing with yarn overs after the first stitch and before the last stitch.

One of my fellow classmates from the retreat made mention of how much she liked my head kerchief. She asked to try it on her head and she loved the way it fit. I mentioned that I still have quite a bit of the yarn after knitting my kerchief, so she offered to pay me to make her a new one and, of course, I said yes!

Upon my return from the retreat, it took me a week to locate this yarn and for a moment I was worried that I may have given it away to a fellow knitter or to a fellow book-maker to use for creative bindings. Luckily, I found the yarn before the week was over and I was off and knitting the new kerchief before the start of another week...


I had made only the most basic of notes when I first made this kerchief, and I couldn't find them, so I was starting from scratch when I began knitting this new kerchief. It took a few false starts, but once I got it started, it was fast and smooth sailing from there. Before you know it, the kerchief was completed and mailed to it's new owner, but I had a lot of fun making it as you can see below...

Wearing my kerchief while knitting a new one!

Would you believe I still have some yarn left over to make one more of these??!?

I wish I knew exactly what yarn this is and who made it, but the knitting buddy who gave it to me no longer had the yarn label for it. However, from the feel of this yarn, I believe it is a merino wool.

Now, I did not knit a swatch when I first created this kerchief, nor did I knit a swatch for this second kerchief. Personally, for something this small, I think you can tell if it's getting too big!

For any knitters out there who would like to try to create one of these kerchiefs, this is the 'pattern' for how I created it, step-by-step:

Using sock yarn and size 6 circular needles, cast on 3 stitches
Knit in garter stitch for 3 rows
Begin increasing as follows:

Row 1 - Knit one stitch, yarn over, knit across row until the last stitch, yarn over, knit last stitch
Row 2 - Knit across the entire row, without yarn overs

Continue with rows 1 and 2 until kerchief measures 8 1/4" from tip to edge

Complete the kerchief with the following 3 rows of knitting:
Row 1 - Knit 1 stitch - yarn over, knit 2 stitches together - repeat the yarn over, knit 2 stitches to the last stitch, knit the last stitch
Row 2 - Knit across the last row
Row 3 - Bind off all stitches

To make the kerchief ties, pick up 3 stitches along the side of the kerchief starting at the edge of the eyelet row; knit in i-cord until you reach approximately 6 inches in length; bind off

Weave in all loose ends and wear your new kerchief!

Of course, if you are not a knitter but would like to have a fun knitted kerchief of your own, let me know. You send me the yarn and I'll send back a kerchief! Feel free to email me for details...


Later this week I'll be sharing another project I've been working on since my return from the retreat, one that I found on my way home: patching a t-shirt skirt with holes. Be sure to stay tuned!

1 comment:

Kathryn Hansen said...

How cute!!! I've never seen one of those before...wish I had time to take knitting up cuz it looks like fun!!