Monday, March 11, 2013

Day 2 at Artful Journey - Paste Paper

Hello Dear Blog Readers! I'm excited to return to my adventures at the Artful Journey Retreat and share my process of all that I learned. Today I'm sharing about making paste paper...

A sample of the paste paper I designed in Albie Smith's workshop...it was an explosion of color!

Albie showed us how to mix up colored gesso with paper paste to create wonderful colors that could be spread on the surface of the paper we were using in this workshop. Albie had several wonderful hand-cut stamps and gorgeous templates/stencils that we were free to use in our designs. However, I decided to simply play with the color at first and wound up creating a batch of "imprint"* papers, as Albie called them:

Colored paper paste smooshed onto my main sheet - this is a thick layer so much will come off onto my "imprint" sheets of paper...

Some of you probably know about "imprinting" by using a gelli plate - you coat your surface with paint, scratch a design into the painted surface, lay down a sheet of blank paper on top of the painted surface, then smooth the top paper to get your "imprint" of the painted surface. Of course, sometimes not all the paint lifts onto your imprint sheet, but that is part of the fun of discovering what will happen when playing with this method...

My main painted sheet and three smaller 'imprints' - you can see they relate to each other

I had already cut some of my blank sheets into thirds which would make a square shaped book when folded and made into signatures. I wasn't sure what books I would actually be making in this workshop, but since I like a square shaped book, I cut my paper with this in mind.

I began to use these cut sheets to make my painted imprints. I had a great time playing with color, splattering paint a 'la Jackson Pollack and making lots of papers with this method:

Lots of colorful paint splattered onto the main paper sheet...

Blank paper laid on top then smoothed over the painted surface to pick up the paint...

The original painted surface has now changed with the paint splatters being flattened into both paper surfaces, top and bottom - I now have 2 sheets of colorful paper I can use in future book binding projects!

Here is another sheet in process, using some of my cut papers for the imprints:

Painted paper surface...
 
 Blank sheets laid on top for imprinting...

Final results of the 'imprinting' method. Needless to say, I made a LOT of paper with this way!
 
Albie had instructed everyone to paint BOTH sides of the papers so we were busy making paper designs on one side, letting the sheets dry, then doing it again on the other side!

Some of my paper drying outside when we ran out of room inside to dry papers...


And you've had a glimpse of the book that many of these papers created:


I will share better photos of this book at the end of sharing this Artful Journey. In the meantime, I'll be sharing some paper I created, where I FINALLY got play with Albie's stamps and stencils, so stay tuned!


* - It is also called monoprinting, though I was sometimes able to get more than one imprint so I guess it was similar to offset printing...

2 comments:

Kathryn Hansen said...

looks like a super fun time!!

Glenda Hoagland said...

Love your explanation of the process. It was really a lot of fun. That class was truly lifechanging.