Saturday, February 9, 2013

What A Bust!

Hello Dear Blog Readers!
I am excited to report that my mini-book project for Valentine's Day is complete! However, it appears that these books will not be sold for Valentine's Day this year...

Limited edition series of Red "Love" Books - only three could be made due to limited supplies...

A peek at one of the quotes inside one of the Red Books...

Little "love" themed booklets with rubber stamped art, each one containing a different quote on LOVE...

...and vintage paper ephemera pages, alongside the printed quotes...

A sweet gift for your Sweet Heart!

I had hoped to sell these at the Silverlake Art*Craft*Vintage Fair today but rainy weather knocked that plan right out. I have learned, from the book maker at Brown Bag Books, that humid weather is NOT GOOD for paper goods of any kind, whether they be books or special valentine cards...such as these two cards that I managed to create (and hoped to sell!) while making my little 'love' books:

"Deuxieme Amour" translates to "Second Love", which can be better than a 'first love'!

"I Give You My Heart" hand-stitched, mixed media art card for your sweetheart...

I had been monitoring the weather throughout the week, so when it appeared very likely that rain was coming and I wouldn't be a vendor at Silverlake, I began listing my books like mad in the hopes that I could sell a few online and get them sent out in time for giving on the big day...but even that idea has not gone as I had hoped.

I did consider going to the fair with just my vintage goods to sell if the weather cleared up, which it did, but I do not have a canopy to protect my goods and I knew if I wound up under a tree, the wind would provide water sprinkles throughout the day.
 
I really want to begin to present myself as a book maker at this event, especially since it IS a craft fair, as well as a vintage one. Also, though I may be a die-hard flea market attendee, even in the rain*, I know that most people are not, so I figured there might a low turnout for the fair even on a sunny day after some rain...

A pink themed book on LOVE...

The upshot is that my hand-bound 'love' books are currently available for sale in my Etsy shop, but due to time constraints, if ordered, they can not arrive in time for giving on Valentine's Day, much to my regret.

This is one reason why I generally do not create holiday themed goods: the time frame for selling such things is limited and, if the goods are not sold, it is not always easy to sell them the following year. I may change the listings next weekend to promote these books as anniversary or wedding gifts, since they are about love and I will hope that these little books can find 'loving' homes of their own. =-)


Lesson Learned:
If making holiday themed goods, they must be made MONTHS in advance so they can be promoted MONTHS in advance,  since that is how the market works =-\

In the meantime, I still had a lot of fun creating these little books and I plan to create others that use quotes of all kinds, since I am a big quote collector...maybe this project is not a total bust after all!

Red Books in process...

I will share more images of creating my 'love' books in an upcoming post, so be sure to stay tuned!


* - Yes, I was once at the Pasadena City College Flea Market on a very memorable gray day that turned into RAIN and I STILL kept looking at the few vendors that had braved the weather and STAYED IN IT! If they were going to be out selling their goods in that weather, I would be with them in solidarity!! I believe this makes me a "die-hard" flea market junkie ;)

1 comment:

Eddie Bluelights said...

Nice Valentine Cards . . . . . hmmm! are you going to send me one? LOL
Thank you for your very kind comment at my place, Monica ~ hugs, Eddie