Monday, February 11, 2013

Projects In Process - Red "Love" Books and Valentine...

Hello Dear Blog Readers!
I wanted to share some of the process pictures I shot while making my little "love" books for Valentine's Day - maybe they will inspire you to create some of your own...


Some of you may remember this image when I first began this project. I discovered some scrapbook papers that I thought would be great for making some Valentine books, so I began to create covers using my Valentine rubber stamps, stamping an image on the cover and a love "emblem" on the back cover. After viewing this letter-press exhibit, I got the idea to print out folio pages of love quotes to create a "printed" art book. This is how the printed pages looked for the small books:


...and this is how they looked for the Red Books:


The printed pages you are seeing are my version of a "Title Page" and a "Colophon", both of which I learned about in the book "The Art and Craft of Handmade Books" by Shereen LaPlantz, a great book I luckily stumbled on at my local library one day. This book has a lot of wonderful information on the many parts of a book, such as the "title page", "verso page", and "broadsides", which are generally related to the publishing side of book making...


The Red Books were made using up what remained of some high quality, very heavy card stock and only three books were made. The heart embossed rag paper you see above was a scrap given to me by one of my knitting buddies...

There are still a few of these hearts left that will eventually be used for a future project...

I found this scrap while doing some searching for something else, as often happens with us creative folk...I'm glad I found the rag paper in time to use it for these books, though it meant I wouldn't be using the stickers I originally planned on using...

Don't worry - these stickers will be used for something in the future!

I tore the hearts individually so each heart looks a little different for each book and I used red thread for binding the pages together...




While making my books, there was often drying time for inks or glues, or time spent in my little book press for pressing the spines flat. While these processes were happening, I used the down-time to create two valentine cards. Here are process shots of my favorite card...

Rubber stamp of a vintage medical illustration of the heart stamped in red ink onto a scrap from a French language paperback book, then hand stitched onto a scrap of vintage watercolor paper from my grandmother's portfolio...

This would be attached with red brads onto a piece of thick and textured card stock I had in my own stash - the card stock was from a series of file folders that came from a company in Italy...

I used my vintage typewriter to type the theme of this card: "I give you my heart"; you can see the holes punched in preparation for the brads...

Detail shot of the typewriting - it almost looks like it came from a letter-press!

Once the brads were attached, the card would be glued to a larger card, creating a 'backdrop'; the card stock is buff colored, from my stash, creating a neutral palette that highlights the red ink, thread and brads...

A transparent envelope makes this card complete - the back side of the card is blank for writing your own heart-felt message...


I had a lot fun finding inspiration for my books and valentine cards from different places, like the letterpress exhibit, as well as inspiration from this Valentine Tag tutorial I found at this blog I like to check out from time to time. I'm sure you will see the inspiration for the red thread stitching I used in my valentine card from the tag project, but that is part of the fun of finding ways to adapt ideas for projects!

I hope you enjoyed seeing the process of my recent creations. I will share some more projects I am working on, so stay tuned!

1 comment:

Kathryn Hansen said...

awesome cards Monica...i especially love that last one!!