Thursday, February 28, 2013

Learning a New Stab Stitch Technique All By Myself...

Hello Dear Blog Readers,
Today I'm sharing a new stab stitch technique I managed to learn by myself from the book "Cover to Cover"* by Shereen LaPlantz...

"Cover to Cover" by Shereen LaPlantz - a great book about book binding

I checked out the book "Cover to Cover" from my local library to see what offerings there would be. I had borrowed "The Art and Craft of Handmade Books" and learned so much terminology, as well as seeing many beautiful ways to make books, so I figured there would be just as much goodness in "Cover to Cover" and I was not wrong.

There were instructions for making different styles of stab stitch bindings, which are more decorative than the usual style that I have been using lately:

The basic stab stitch as practiced on a few mini booklets...

I don't know if this particular style stitch I have learned has a name, but it does include extra stitching on the corners, which I liked when I saw it in the book. Here is how I made my test sample...

I decided to use a journal page I had made and wasn't happy with. Since it was covered on the front and the back, I wouldn't have to add end papers!

I made holes using a Japanese screw punch my Artful Journey friend Diana was kind enough to loan me; I bought new tips to use for the retreat and I've been practicing working with the screw punch:


I've been having trouble figuring out how to punch the holes while keeping the book papers from shifting. "Cover to Cover" suggested using toothpicks in the holes to keep the shifting at bay. Using large bulldog clips helped a lot too:


Here is a view of the back of the book during the hole punch process. I think I will need to purchase a few more of these clips for more book binding in the future:


Though this book is a sample to practice the stitching method, I still wanted the binding threads to look nice and match the covers of this book:


I really love the look of chunky threads, but found some thread from my grandmother's vintage stash that looked better. I was ready to commence learning a new stab stitch style using the book to guide my learning...

Using the book meant working from drawn diagrams, which is not always easy for me. Although I can be a visual learner, I often need an example IN ACTION in order for me to grasp the concepts being conveyed. Sometimes, drawings or diagrams are not enough for me to figure things out.

At this point, all I had was the book to work from so I read through the directions while looking at the diagrams and when I thought I had some understanding of the process, I began my stitching. I did not take any process shots of the stitching, since I was focused on figuring out the new stitch method, but I do have some finished photos of how the stitch looks when complete:


Here is a detail shot of the decorative corner in the front:


And here are views of the back:




I am quite happy with the results of this test sample, especially since I worked out the challenges of learning this technique on my own! I will be using this technique on a few more books in the future, and possibly using this technique on books I make at the retreat this weekend...

Tomorrow, I'll be sharing the process of creating my new gratitude journal, so be sure to stay tuned!


* - I did a search for this book on Amazon, but didn't get any results; I'm afraid it may be out of print =-(

2 comments:

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

I love that new technique Monica. It adds such lovely detail.

SueAnn Lommler said...

It looks fabulous...love the stitch!
I can't just use drawings and diagrams to "see" a new project...hands on and seeing in person is better. Ha!
Hugs
SueAnn