Monday, January 7, 2013

My Year Long Challenge For 2013...

Hello Dear Blog Readers!

I've been spending time with my dear boyfriend, since he took some extra time off for the holidays. It's been a much needed time of relaxation, though I have used some of the time to begin planning CREATIVE WORK for 2013. I've also been giving thought to a year-long challenge I've decided to make for myself...

In the past, I participated in a form of this challenge, which was my No Clothes Challenge. It was not easy, but I did realize that I really didn't need any new clothes (or shoes, hats or handbags!) to get through one year with all the clothes I already had in my closet. Interestingly, the money that would have been spent on clothing was then spent on art supplies (not surprising!) after attending my first art retreat a few months after embarking on this no clothes challenge...

Today, as I continue with the cleaning and clearing of my humble abode, I have come to realize that I have an ABUNDANCE of art supplies, an abundance that would take a few years to work through before I need to buy more. So I have decided to buy no new art supplies for one year, but that's not all...

I have also realized that I have an abundance of quite a few things it will take me awhile to use up such as:

beads and jewelry supplies...
This is approximately 2/3 of my entire stash of jewelry supplies...

...rubber stamps...
This is approximately 1/4 of the entire collection of stamps

...vintage lace trims...
 This represents approximately 1/6 of my vintage lace stash

...stationary, new or vintage...
 This shows approximately 1/3 of my collection, which does NOT include my handmade envelopes...

...handmade envelopes, for my personal use or for selling in my Etsy shop, eventually..
These are for my personal use and it represents 1/3 of my handmade stash...

...blank books for journals, whether written or artful and books for altering...
These two boxes represent approximately 1/4 of the books I've collected for altering or recycling

...scrapbook paper, cardstock, paper ephemera...
The plastic storage bins represent 1/6 of my entire collection of paper stash - it really IS quite a lot!

...and then there are the vintage stamps, vintage photos, yarn and fabric!

Yes, I really do have quite a LOT of goods and supplies to use up and I am determined to use them up in CREATIVE WORK this year or to share them with you Dear Blog Reader!

Now, I have realized that there may need to be just a few exceptions to this challenge:
  • I will need to replace glues as they get used up, which will include gel mediums, stick glues and decoupage glues, though I tend to use gel medium the most, which means my bottle of Mod Podge may take awhile to get used up
  • Replacement blades for my cutting tools such as rotary cutters and exacto blades since these do get dull over time with frequent use
  • THREAD: new color thread for sewing projects I take on for clients, replacement thread if I use up currently existing spools. I would include thread for book binding, but the only thread I anticipate using up is my red thread. As you can see, I have an abundance of book binding threads, too:
...approximately 1/3 of my book binding thread stash...

  • Rubber stamp ink IF it dries out...but I have quite a few of these too, so this may not apply ;)
  • Tools needed for my upcoming Artful Journey Retreat workshop that I am participating in - I have already purchased paper to be used in the workshop and plan to use the rest for remaining book binding projects this year; there may need to be some new paints, but I will check my list before making that purchase!

I plan to post a new page to this blog to share some of the abundance of my supplies with many of you, so if you see something you'd like to have, you can contact me. I would also be open to a swap of my supplies for something you might have that I might be looking for, such as the following case... 

Though I am restricting rubber stamp purchases, I am putting the word out in case someone is able to locate some rubber stamps I am currently searching for, with no luck. I bought a few number stamps from a discount store and used them to create this New Year image:


Unfortunately, I was unable to acquire any other numbers and I would love to complete the series if anyone is able to locate them for me! I made a few postcards using this image and I would love to make a series for 2014 and beyond, if possible. If anyone knows where this rubber stamp series can be found, or if anyone has them but is not interested in keeping them, let me know and I'm happy to swap out some of my rubber stamps, or other supplies!

So there you have it - Buy No New Art Supplies in 2013! It began on January 1, 2013 and it will end on December 31, 2013. I'll let you all know how it goes, so be sure to stay tuned!!

1 comment:

Kathryn Hansen said...

that is such a wise resolution...i know i have tons of supplies i never even use any more from when i was collaging...it's super easy to accumulate because there's so many fun things out there to buy!

sounds like you've got 2013 handled!:-)