Friday, January 11, 2013

I'm Hosting A Workshop!

Hello Dear Blog Readers!

Some of you may know by now, but I'm excited to announce that I'll be hosting workshops from my home starting this month!

I have been considering this for quite awhile but it became clear that I would have to host my own workshops from my own home for the following reason: many of the venues that hold creative workshops have been closing!

Sadly, the venues I had hoped to teach from such as Urban Craft Center located in Santa Monica, and Home Ec in Silverlake, have shut the doors to their brick and mortar stores!

Last month, on a recent outing to South Pasadena where the wonderful shop Zinnia was located, I discovered that they, too, had closed their doors and I missed enjoying one last visit by six weeks...what's a Creative Beast to do??

The Creative Beast decides to host workshops from her own home!

I'll be hosting a monthly workshop that will finish with a simple and fun tea party afterward to replenish our stomachs after we have replenished our souls with artwork. For fun, I'm calling this creative workshop series "CrafTea"!

Here is the description of my first workshop, which you can also find on my Events page, where you will find more details included:

Meaningful Mail Art Post Card

Here is what you will learn:

  • You will learn a simple wax resist technique to create a colorful background for your postcard
  •  Through sharing a meaningful story of personal values you will glean a word that will be the inspiration for your postcard
  • You will layer paper ephemera and decorative tapes to create a collage
  • You will add your meaningful word from your shared story onto your postcard, then address it to yourself
Now here is the twist:
I will collect your postcard and mail it to you when you least expect it as a reminder of your meaningful values!

The workshop will finish with a simple tea party which will include appetizers, sweet treats and of course, tea.

 

And, of course, some form of chocolate will be included ;)

 
This idea has been in my mind for many months now, so a lot of the cleaning and clearing I've been doing in my humble abode for these past months has been done toward creating the space to host such an event, both physically and mentally.

I've been gathering a few emails for an email list, so the word of this event has gone out to the small list I've cultivated, and a special message went out to a few special friends in advance.

I also included some dear blog buddies in the email to keep them in the loop though, sadly, they are too far to attend, which many of them would do as they have been responding. I may have to find a way to turn this into an e-course, so they can participate from afar!

This first workshop is due to take place in approximately one week and though I do not know how this first event will turn out, I can say that I'm very excited to announce it here on my blog, especially since it's in alignment with my word for 2013, CREATIVE WORK.

If you are in the Los Angeles area and would like to participate, send me an email at:

thecreativebeast (at) gmail (dot) com 

I'd love to see you in my workshops!

3 comments:

Kathryn Hansen said...

Oh wow...i didn't know that Zinna closed!

Good luck with your first craftea next weekend...i just know it will be a huge success!!! Hope to attend one!!

humel said...

I'm one of those who is super excited about this new venture of yours and just wishing I could get along! (Sorry if I didn't reply to your email though, I got way behind over the last couple of weeks.)

Coleen said...

What a cute idea. It should be fun bring artsy types together for crafting and tea.
Thanks for visiting my blog.

Coleen in Ukraine