Thursday, January 17, 2013

A Journaling Dilemma...

Hello Dear Blog Readers!
I just realized that I may have a bit of a journal dilemma...

I mentioned in my last post that I was making an "accomplishment jar" instead of a "gratitude jar" because I already have a gratitude journal I've been keeping since June. Each night, before I fall asleep, I write down things that have happened during my day that I am grateful for. Last night I discovered that I am about to run out of pages in my Gratitude journal!

My current gratitude journal with some collage on the cover to make it my own...

I have also shared my year long plan to refrain from buying any new art supplies, which includes blank books, because I have so many blank books I am always buying, but not using! Here is my collection, so far:

Blank books of various sizes with lined or blank paper...the one on the far left is a Sabrina Harrison Ward journal

I want to make sure you see that there are three books nestled in the box at the bottom of this pile!

That is the collection of regular to small sized books that were bought for writing in, though the Sabrina Harrison Ward book was bought for art journaling. Here are the small sized books, most of which I've had for over ten years, all unused...

These are approximately 4"x 4" in size, though the smallest one is about 2"x 4"...

I've had this unique little blank book for almost 20 years! I really love the vintage photo on the cover...

And these are the blank books I've bought for art purposes, which doesn't include the two large black books that measure 11" x 14" each - they were a bit big to photograph!

2 blank books for collage that measure 6" x 6" and one small linen covered journal for creating watercolors...

I believe this is just about all the blank books I have in my current collection! It does seem that I do not need to purchase another blank book or journal...
 
So here is my dilemma: I had expressed the hope to get another special journal made by Kristen to use for my nightly gratitude list, which I mentioned after receiving the beautiful journal cover for my year-end worksheets. But if I am doing a year-long challenge to not buy new art supplies (which is including blank books/journals), then it seems that I will not be able to have Kristen create a lovely journal to use for my nightly gratitude ritual.

But here is what I REALLY love about the journal she made for me, that makes me want to buy a new one:
  • It really made me HAPPY and JOYFUL to use it for my year-end worksheets
  • I continue to use it for goal and dream planning maintenance
  • It is portable so I take with me to my dear boyfriends home when I am with him on the weekends (which I'm not able to do with my current gratitude journal, but I want to continue with this ritual on the weekends)
You might be wondering right now if I can use any of the blank books in my current collection for the new gratitude journal - here is the break down of how I planned to use them at the time of purchase:

Two of the blank journals with the floral patterns were purchased to be used for goal planning and to-do lists and I am happy to begin using those for that purpose. The smaller books were purchased to be used as field notebooks to be kept in my purse, and I do this fairly regularly.

The small 4" x 4" books were purchased to be made into some form of art books, before I really knew what those were, and I still want to use them for that purpose. Of course, the art books will be used for art journaling...

Since virtually all the blank books I have in my collection are generally 'spoken for' will this allow me to purchase a lovely journal from Kristen for my gratitude journal??!?

What do you think Dear Blog Readers? Should I use one of the blank books I already have, or should I purchase a lovely new journal from Kristen to use for my nightly gratitude ritual?

Weigh in and let me know what you think!


3 comments:

SueAnn Lommler said...

you do have a nice selection...maybe you should improvise. Be much more fun
Just saying
Hugs
SueAnn

Kathryn Hansen said...

since it really makes you happy and you're supporting another artist, i say go for it. journaling gratitudes is super important and it deserves a special book!!

Kathryn Hansen said...

ps...i also meant to say that it's easy for me to spend someone else's money!!!(like my kids!!)