Monday, December 17, 2012

Reverb12 - The Path That Brought Me Here

Hello Dear Blog Readers!
I've been enjoying time spent with my dear boyfriend before, during and after his birthday last week, though I've also been musing over the many prompts being posed by Kat (and guests!) of I Saw You Dancing, as she continues to host Reverb12 at her blog. There have been many thought-provoking prompts in the past two weeks and I've been meaning to share some of them here, but time has been getting away from me, of course, now that the whirl of the holidays is setting in...

However, I will write on this prompt for today - The Path That Brought Me Here

The prompts posed by guest blogger Bron aka Maxabella are:

"...I need to remember to look back at the winding path before I start walking.
My question is: what was the most important thing you learned in 2012?"

with the additional prompt from Kat:

"I would like to add: how does this learning shape the path going forward?"

Hmmm, I've been thinking a LOT about how I got to this place in time, especially in terms of my creative skills, skills I learned as a child from my grandmother, skills I continued to practice and hone beginning in my childhood throughout adulthood, skills I never stopped using...

I think of all the old sewing projects from rag dolls as a girl to clothes as a teenager, to fashion design and costume design as a young adult. I've thought of the successes and the ill-fitting mistakes!

A doll I made three years ago and shared here on my blog in it's early days...

I think of the ballet lessons I began at age 11 and the dance lessons I was able to continue with at my performing arts high school, when there was no more money to fund my dance lessons with my dearly beloved ballet teacher. I remember the performances and the many costumes I made for them.

I've thought of the art classes and the creative writing classes that I loved being in throughout high school, and in junior college - I remember and still have some of my writing assignments, with the A and B marks for my work, given to me by an encouraging and enthusiastic instructor. I think of that instructor often when I sit to write a blog post...

I think of how my performance skills come into play as I began to participate in boutique and vendor events to sell my creative goods, or my grandmother's vintage goods, and I realize that my writing skills often come into play as I share stories about my grandmother and my creativity, both being heavily intertwined.

Sewn t-shirt scarves and knitted mitts - both made with skills taught to me by my grandmother

And I think of how my creativity has nourished, empowered and healed me, at different times in my journey through Life...

Creativity has been the through-line in my life, creativity in various forms, some coming to prominence, some sitting on the back burner, some being a quick side trip that fueled and sparked other creative interests...

I've always valued creativity in my life - I will always value creativity, as well as learning new things, which I do when I take up a new creative endeavor!

And I am learning that I need creativity in my life to be happy and to thrive...This is what I will take with me into 2013 and beyond...

 2013 is a blank canvas with much creative potential!

2 comments:

Kathryn Hansen said...

in metaphysics, 2013 is the year of innovation. taking all those administrative and creative skills you have perfected over the years will serve you very well with your new adventures in being a vendor at fairs. i predict that you will do very well in 2013!!

humel said...

A thoughtful post from you as always, my dear :) I look forward to seeing the vibrant creativity you bring to that blank canvas over the coming year! x