Friday, December 28, 2012

My End of Year Journal!

Hello Dear Blog Readers!
I hope you all enjoyed a lovely December 25 and that you are continuing to enjoy the remainder of this year...

I am now preparing to sit down and do some year-end journaling, so I can close out the year and begin to plan for the new year ahead. I do a series of worksheets at the end of the year now. I first began with the worksheets provided by Christine Kane, one that many people are aware of, in one form or another: Word Of The Year.

Then I found these worksheets at the Superhero blog written by Andrea Scher: Complete Your Year, which you can find on this webpage.

THEN, last year I found the Unravelling worksheet created by Susannah Conway, and there is a new one for the New Year: Unravelling 2013, which has more content than last years worksheets!

And lets not forget all the amazing prompts of Reverb12...

As you can see, I've got my work cut out for me! But I am really looking forward to it, especially since I now have a wonderful journal cover to keep all my writing in so I can refer to it throughout 2013...

handmade books

At the end of this blog post, I mentioned that I would be meeting with a vendor from a recent boutique event I participated in, and we met to discuss having a special journal made for me to keep all my year-end journaling in. Her name is Kristen and she is the owner of Bag Lady Lulu - she also has an Etsy shop of the same name.

handmade books

I was so excited to meet with Kristen and discuss having a special journal cover made for my year-end journaling! I brought some elements that I hoped she could incorporate into my journal, and she managed to add everything I brought, tying it all together in her own beautiful style:

handmade books

I told her about all the worksheets I use, and she was aware of Word Of The Year. She was intrigued when I told her about Reverb12 and Unravelling. I told her that though I had done a lot of journaling at the end of last year, I didn't really store the paperwork in an accessible place, so I had no way of knowing whether I was on track with my goals or not. After seeing Kristen's journal creations, I knew this would be the best way to keep my journaling in one lovely place that I could refer to as the year moves forward...


Though she had quite a few orders to fill, Kristen agreed to create my journal cover before the year was over - she was VERY kind to do it, but she is a VERY kind and lovely lady! I told her I would begin to cut the blank pages so I could begin the writing process, as the cover was being made.


I have been cutting blank pages, as well as lined pages, so I can add some artwork to my journal this year. One of the Reverb12 prompts asks about the "color of you" and creating a colorful page for this prompt is on my list!

I will meet with Kristen again so she can show me how to bind this journal, in the style she binds all her journals, with decorative ribbons.

When I met her to receive my beautiful journal cover, I mentioned that I believe I have found my Word Of The Year, and the adjective to define my word as I want to see it unfold in 2013. She had a wonderful suggestion that will be part of my WOTY, but I will wait to share it with you, when I have completed all the writing.

I will also be doing a summary of Kwanzaa this year - I usually write a blog post for each day of Kwanzaa, but having access to the internet on a daily basis has been unusually challenging this year, so this year will be a summary of each principle as it played out this year or didn't as the case may be...


I am SO EXCITED to have this gorgeous journal to work with! I'm so excited that I have already told Kristen that I will be ordering another journal to use for my daily gratitude journal, something I began in June and have kept up nearly every evening. I write out my list of gratitude before going to sleep - it's become a wonderful bedtime ritual for me! The journal I use for this is about to run out of pages, so I plan on ordering a special one from Kristen, one that will also be easily portable, since the one I currently work with does not travel with me when I am staying with my dear boyfriend. When the time comes to have the new journal made, I'll be sure to share it with you all...

I've got to run and start the process of closing out my old year and preparing for the new. I'll share all my findings with you soon, so stay tuned!

2 comments:

Kathryn Hansen said...

What a great idea...and the journal looks wonderful!! Good luck with all your writing...don't get a hand cramp!!!

Happy New year Monica!!! Hope it's filled to the brim with creativity, financial success and lots of magic!!

Amelia said...

beautiful book! You've reminded me I need to do some my sheets for the coming year with many plans afoot!

And here's wishing you a fab 2013 :)

Amelia.x