Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Emerging From A Respite...

Hello Dear Blog Readers!
It has been a few days since my last blog post, which slipped by faster than I expected, but I've been enjoying this time to take a breather before the whirl of the holidays sets in...a respite, if you will:

res·pite  

/ˈrespət/
Noun
  1. A short period of rest or relief from something difficult or unpleasant.
  2. A short delay permitted before an unpleasant obligation is met or a punishment is carried out.
I have been doing quite a few boutique events which, while not altogether unpleasant, are quite a lot of preparation and work to do, so I thought a little time to rest before the onslaught of the holidays...which could be looked upon as the "unpleasant obligation" I have before me! ;)

I have spent time with my dear boyfriend and started some fun creative projects for MYSELF, which is a refreshing change of pace from the past few weeks. I will share some of these projects with you all soon, when I have photographed some of them!

I needed this break since I made the decision to participate in the Silverlake Art*Craft*Vintage Fair and of course, learned a few lessons along the way...

To begin: though I had already checked out this venue, I came from a different direction the first time. So, I got lost finding the venue coming from my home, in spite of having some directions from Mapquest to guide me, and I got to the venue a little later than I had planned...then my engine light went on as I was driving around lost!! Luckily I only had to wait in a line of vendors for about 20 minutes, managed to unload my car quickly and park it before my car did anything drastic like STALL in the middle of lot!

(You'll all be happy to know that my car started so I could get home and it turns out all I needed to do was tighten the gas cap! I love the service lady at my dealership where I take my car!!)

LESSON LEARNED:
It's always a good idea to make a trip to the venue beforehand (if possible!) to iron out challenges and avoid getting lost the day of the event!

Because this event was for craft AND vintage, I brought both in the hopes of clearing out some of my grandmother's goods from my home, and make some extra money as well. Unfortunately, I didn't have enough table space to host both, my book goods AND my vintage goods!! This meant that I couldn't display everything I brought with me, but I did make some sales and was able to bring out other goods as the day wore on...

LESSON LEARNED:
Have lots of table space to display ALL your goods on! It's not fun to have very little space for displaying your wares =-(

My display at a previous event - I had two of these little tables and it wasn't enough to display everything I brought...

I shared costs and space with an old friend who makes wire wrap jewelry at this event, though I began to have misgivings before the event took place. I should have listened to those misgivings:
  • She arrived before I did and got set up as I made it to the booth space - she was already set up in the middle of the space! I suggested we could both have more space by moving displays further back (we were placed near a wall which gave us lots of room), but she didn't want to do that, so I used the space along the side for my vintage goods and toward the back of the space for my handmade goods. Later, one of her friends came to visit and talked her into moving her table forward, so her set-up was now more prominently featured*
  • I would let her know I was leaving to use the bathrooms, or to take a quick look around at the other vendors (it was not a large venue), but I would return and my friend was nowhere to be seen, because she would leave to check out other vendors too!
  • She left in such a hurry, she left behind a large display item and I had to call her to pick it up because I wouldn't have room to bring it back for her in my car
LESSON LEARNED:
Sometimes, sharing costs with a friend is not as cost effective as you might think - I believe the Universe is sending me messages that it's time for me to do these vending events ON MY OWN!

I did bring some snacks but not a lot because I expected there would be a food truck as there had been when I had come to check out the venue the previous month, and I thought I could buy myself some lunch. Sadly, there was NO food truck and it was some walking distance to get to the Subway I could see across the street up the block. However, I didn't feel I could leave for such a long period of time to get food (see bullet #2 above!).

LESSON LEARNED:
Bring LOTS of snack foods in case there is no way to get food easily

I am happy to report that I DID make some money, though not as much as I'd hoped. I did sell a large dress form belonging to my grandmother and I sold a pair of my hand-knitted mitts, which I found encouraging. There were lots of interesting, wonderful crafty vendors, including this vendor who sold second hand books and also makes recycled journals. I'll share the blank journal I bought from her - I really liked the book used to make it!

I am taking time to think about participating in this venue again - it is a nice venue with many craft artisans and I think the venue has potential. I'll take time during the holidays before making a final decision and report back soon...

***   ***   ***
IN OTHER NEWS:
My dear boyfriend has his birthday this week and I am looking forward to celebrating with him. He does not have any ideas or plans for how he wants to celebrate, but it will be good to spend time with him after so many weekends at vendor events for the past few weeks.

I had a meeting with the lovely lady who makes fun and playful handmade journals and she is working on creating one for me to work in as I begin to dig in to the year-end worksheets I do at this time of year like Word Of The Year by Christine Kane and, lately, Unravelling by Susannah Conway, not to mention the Reverb12 prompts I am pondering. WHEW! It's going to be one PACKED journal when I'm done with it!

The rest of this week will be spent with my dear boyfriend, but I am squeezing in time to work on fun projects for myself, as well as ideas I hope to launch in the new year. I will share some of them in the weeks to come, so be sure to stay tuned!


* - though it was a problem in the beginning, it DID allow for stroller moms to move easily past my vintage goods and toward my handmade goods! =-)

1 comment:

Kathryn Hansen said...

even after all the shows i've done, i still learn a thing or two!! something always pops up that you didn't expect! but i think you're right...it's time to go it alone!! you'll do great!!!!