Thursday, November 29, 2012

Practice Makes Perfect...

Hello Dear Blog Readers!

QUESTION:
How do you get to Carnegie Hall???

ANSWER:
Practice, practice, PRACTICE!

I was hoping to list some of the new stab stitch books I made to sell last week, but when I began to take photographs, I noticed something wasn't quite right with the binding on the books:

One of the new stab stitch books (incorrectly!) made by yours truly...

I realized that I had not sewn the spines on them correctly! They were missing the over stitch that makes the binding look like a blanket stitch, like the binding on my first stab stitch book:

5 over stitches on the book spine to match the straight stitches that make up a proper stab stitch binding

It seems that I bound every book I cut this way!

...sigh...

I realized I would have to re-do every binding on every book I cut - the large ones and the small ones. It was a slight inconvenience, but it gave me a chance to do the bindings with threads I really wanted to use the first time around. I made a quick trip to my local Joann's to find some chunky embroidery threads I wanted to use for bindings that would match the papers I used. I wasn't able to find a charcoal thread that I used for the black floral covered book, but I found a lovely cream shade that looks much better:



I also found some natural colored hemp twine that I'm adding to my growing collection of book binding threads. I'm looking forward to using the hemp twine soon!

Since I had to spend time unbinding and rebinding the books, I have yet to properly photograph them to list on Etsy...but I took a quick group shot so you can get an idea of what the books look like:

A peek at the recent batch of stab stitch books I made, all using the same thread binding for uniformity

I can definitely say they are looking much better now that they are all properly bound...



LESSON LEARNED:
I need to practice a new technique more than three times to insure its really in my head...and my hands!

Three little stab stitch books I made for practicing the new technique - guess I should have made more practice books!! ;)

In other news, I'm debating whether to participate in another boutique event. The cost is not very high and it's being held in a scrapbook store, which might be a better audience for my book arts.

If I do this boutique, I would have an opportunity to speak with the owner about teaching book binding workshops in her store, and she would be able to see my work while at the boutique so this would be the main objective. The second objective would be to sell enough goods to cover the booth fee this time around!

Sadly, my dear boyfriend pointed out that I have yet to make any money with my book arts, since I have not yet made any money at the previous events, with the exception of the summer event. I had to point out that I have only participated in three events and one of them was no cost for the space - I did make a few sales at that one, despite the awful heat!

I thought I would be able to make a few sales with my collage covered notebooks, but maybe I'm wrong in thinking that people want a journal for a gift during the holidays??

If I decide to participate in the boutique, I'll be sure to have a few other gift items on hand, made by me of course, like some jewelry, or some scarves!

If I do the boutique*, I'll let you know how it turned out, so stay tuned!


* - I do know that there is already a list of vendors for this event, so if you're in the area, stop by and check it out at Once Upon A Page in Burbank CA - I can tell you that it is a GREAT scrapbook store with lots of wonderful papers!

2 comments:

Kat @ I Saw You Dancing said...

SQUEEE!So excited you've signed up for #reverb12!
See you tomoz.
Kat x

Kathryn Hansen said...

you always have to follow your own heart and don't give up...you're just starting and sometimes that takes a lot of tweaking to see what works! your journals are great!love the stitching!