Friday, November 16, 2012

Book Binding with Wendy - Stab Stitch Book

Hello Dear Blog Readers! I'm back to share one more book I made recently in a workshop lead by book binding instructor Wendy Poma, who teaches these wonderful workshops at Glendale Community College.

I gave you a sneak peek at this last book, but here is the peek again for you:


3 Gift Books Workshop
Stab Stitch Binding

I was excited at the prospect of learning the stab stitch technique for book binding. It is a pretty way to bind books and a great way to show off lovely colored threads, such as hand dyed linen threads which I have purchased,* but I have yet to use in my book binding. After learning this technique, though, I will certainly be using them in the future!

I chose a lovely mulberry paper with a cherry blossom motif and found a pair of cream card stock covers that would be used to fortify the paper covers for my book. It was a wide but short sheet of paper, so there was not much room for playing with the design, but I figured out a way to lay out the card stock to make the most of this beautifully designed paper:


Once the paper was ready to work with, Wendy instructed us on hole-punching through all the layers in preparation for the stitching...

Clipping all layers together to insure all holes punched were properly aligned for stitching the binding

Once we had punched the necessary holes for stitching, we measured out the embroidery floss, doubled it and proceeded to start stitching. This is where I encountered a problem...

I thought my hole punches were large enough to accommodate the needle and thread until it turned out we had to pass through the same hole at least three times!

This made for some difficulty as I tried to move my needle, with doubled floss (essentially, 12 strands of thread!), through the hole one last pass-through...and it got STUCK!!

I thought I would try to use the table top to get some leverage for moving the needle through the hole, but then the eye of my needle BROKE while stuck in the hole!!!

OH NO!!!

Luckily, Wendy had extra needles, but as I worked the remains of the broken needle out of the hole, and worked the floss out to re-thread the new needle, I began to fall behind in learning the stitch method =-\

Luckily for me, I am a quick learner and managed to get caught up before the rest of the class was halfway through the binding =-)

My completed stab stitch binding - it's not as difficult as I thought it might be, despite a broken needle!

Did I mention that Wendy was moving quickly through the three books to get them finished before the end of the workshop?? =-\

Did I mention that I was not the only person who broke a needle doing this binding?!?? =-O

Despite the mishaps, everyone completed this form of binding, along with the other two books, and all in the allotted time for the workshop...

My 3 Gift Books, completed in the workshop

After learning the new binding technique, I was eager to practice it at home, and so I did using up some scraps of manila card stock and scraps cut from papers used in other hand-bound books I've made. Here are the small practice books:

Three little stab stitch books - they measure approximately 1 1/2" by 5"

Binding these went quickly due to the size, but it was getting the practice that mattered

They are pretty small booklets, compared to the one I made in the workshop:


I mentioned I would share better images of my books in natural lighting, so here are some new photos I shot of my completed books:

Mulberry paper in the cherry blossom design with burgundy thread binding - calm and pretty!

The crimson and burgundy paper book with embellishment added to the cover of the book

The covers look quite different than what was completed in the workshop

A pocket is added to the inner cover - there are more pockets in the works for this book...

Medallion design cotton fabric cover, with neutral floss binding and satin ribbon tie closure

I love the colors of this fabric!

A second strand of floss tied with a knot at the other end of the spine to make the binding strong and balanced =-)

I had a lot of fun in the book binding workshop and I really loved learning the stab stitch technique, even if I did break a needle, though it wouldn't be the first time that has happened** and it won't be the last!

In the meantime, I'm making some more stab stitch booklets to sell at an upcoming in-home boutique event that will take place on the Saturday after Thanksgiving Day. I am a busy gal these days preparing book art goods to sell, but I am making time to celebrate my birthday which is tomorrow! My dear boyfriend and I will go the movies, eat yummy food and have some much needed fun. 

I will share the goods I'm creating here in the days to come, so be sure to stay tuned!


* - I found lovely hand dyed linen threads at Hiromi Papers in Santa Monica

** - Usually I am breaking needles when sewing with fabric, not stitching books!

5 comments:

humel said...

Such pretty books! I love stab stitched binding - I learnt how to do it last year :)

Gill said...

Thank you for sharing this! I would love to learn this technique!

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

Have a gorgeous birthday Monica. Sending you birthday hugs across the sea.

Karen Wallace said...

Beautiful work Monica. Hugs

SueAnn Lommler said...

Happy Birthday!! I love your book...working with your hands to create books is so wonderful. I love the process!
Hugs
SueAnn