Friday, October 26, 2012

Photo Share #22 - A New Hand-Bound Book!

It's been over three years since I was able to take a book binding workshop with my very first book binding instructor, Wendy Poma. I've been feeling a strong pull to take one of her workshops lately and a few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to do just that...


I signed up for a workshop that I participated in before because I thought I would be making the same book I made and shared here on my blog three years ago - a metal embossed cover with sewn signatures*. However, the workshop has changed quite a bit since the last time I took it but the final results are still really cool - instead of sewing signatures, we made a book block gluing individual pages together and the spine of the book cover is separate from the spine of the book block so it opens very flat:

Top view of open book showing all decorative papers used

 A view of the flat opening book with the book block spine covered in colorful paper...

It was great fun to be back in Wendy's workshop creating a lovely book from scratch, choosing from her extensive collection of beautiful papers, and deciding on a stencil design to emboss for the decorative metal cover. She was very happy to see me back in her workshop, this time held at Glendale Community College Adult Education, and she was thrilled to hear my news about my own book binding workshop teaching the Girl Scout troop about book binding, art techniques and altered art books...

Yes, we book lovers just want to spread the word about the joys of book binding!


It's easy to see why =-)


* - I hoped to make the same book because I gave the first one away!

2 comments:

humel said...

It's gorgeous! What a fun workshop to take part in :)

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

Beautiful books. I love the style of that new one you've made. As you know I've started a new love affair with book making :-)