Friday, June 29, 2012

A Creative Opportunity - Sharing What I Love

For some time now, I've been pondering my mission, which I created when I first began my blog and you can read in the sidebar:

"MY MISSION: to live a life rich in art-FULL creativity and to share and ENCOURAGE creativity with others in a heartfelt and meaningful way..."

Embellished bottle caps I've made will be used in other projects to come...

I have always lived my life with an abundance of art-FULL creativity, ever since I was a child, so when I see others who have stifled or blocked their own creativity, I want to encourage them to follow the creative impulses they have because I have witnessed, as well as experienced, the power of Art to heal age-old wounds...

ALL the arts have the power to heal - dance, music, painting, theater...

Of course, I share my own creativity here on my blog but I had been thinking of how I can encourage creativity in others and it looks like the creative opportunity I previously hinted about has finally arrived:

I'll be teaching a sewing workshop that involves BOOK MAKING!

How this opportunity came about is a bit of a winding story, so settle in and make yourself comfortable...

I have mentioned the artwork I've created for fundraisers for the non-profit City Hearts and I have forged a wonderful relationship with one of the fabulous women who run the organization. Her name is Jane and she teaches sewing to young girls in her neighborhood. For some time now, Jane and I have talked about collaborating on a class for her students...

My hand-bound book created for last years fundraiser for City Hearts - of course a heart is part of the design!

Jane asked if there was a way to teach a bookmaking class based on the book I made for last years fundraiser, which you can see in the picture above. However, her classes are primarily sewing classes, so I hit upon the idea to create a fabric book of fabric pages, using scraps of fabric. I made up a quick sample and here are some pictures of how it looks:

The blue fabric is from my bedroom curtains and the pink scrap is from a skirt I made and still wear...the zig-zag block will be rubber stamped with a meaningful word

The pink border, blue floral and gingham check scraps are from my grandmothers fabric stash that I now have...

The cover is made from heavy canvas and the pages are made from a variety of scraps I have in my sewing supplies. I call it my "Fabric Scrap Book" and it's literally filled with scraps of fabrics that have meaning in my life - some are from garments I have made and some are from my grandmother's supplies that I now have in my collection...

These fabric scraps were in my grandmother's stash...together they make a strong combination!

I kept some 'pages' blank so the students can write on them, embroider them or rubber stamp on them. I have begun to add a few rubber stamp designs to my book, but haven't taken any pictures of how it looks. I've also made a large cover to allow adding more signatures* into my book as time goes by...

More pink fabrics from Grandma Betty's stash...

I created a simple glossary of terms for the students so they can learn the lingo of bookbinding, such as "signature", "folio", and "colophon". Though we are working in fabric, this fabric book is still using some traditional book binding techniques!

The heavy canvas cover and a pocket for a paper tag that can be used for journaling later...

Sadly, Jane's sewing students will not be the first students for this workshop! It seems that Jane had the idea to teach during Earth Day/Spring Break but her students had conflicting spring break schedules so they were not all going to be available for this workshop at the same time. As a result, the workshop was shelved for a little while...

However, I felt that this workshop was wanting to take place somewhere and I found a location at a sewing machine repair shop I heard about for good and fast machine repairs. The repair shop has a little room for teaching, which I saw on my first visit. I went back to have a second machine repaired and that's when it occurred to me that I could teach my fabric book workshop at the repair shop. I pitched my Fabric Scrap Book idea to the shop manager and it was accepted!

I will now be teaching my first creative workshop and I'm very excited about this opportunity! Here are the details, in case you'd like to join the fun:

The workshop will take place at Kingdom Sewing and Vacuum Center located at  8923 Reseda Blvd, Northridge CA 91324

It will be held on Thursday July 19 from 11:00am until 2:00pm

You can go to the Kingdom Sewing website for more details about the workshop HERE - click on the 3rd Quarter newsletter and you will find it listed in the calendar of classes as "Fabric Scrapbooking". You can call them for information on how to register for the class =-)

***   ***   ***

I really love how this sewing workshop connects to my values of my love for books and book-making, as well as my love of art and community. I'm certainly glad of the opportunity to practice my mission of SHARING and ENCOURAGING creativity in others. I hope it goes well enough to provide another opportunity to share what I know with others...

In the meantime, I'll be taking a little blog break for a few weeks to prepare everything I need for my first teaching opportunity, such as book samples, creating supply packets and figuring out the demos. However, I have a blogiversary at the end of the month, so I'll be back for some giveaway goodness to celebrate, as well as sharing how my teaching opportunity turns out, so be sure to stay tuned!


* - "SIGNATURE" = a group of pages that make up one signature and several signatures make up a book block; Wikipedia has a good page that describes book binding terminology, with images to help you see what goes where =-)

2 comments:

SueAnn Lommler said...

Oh what fun you all will have,
I love bookmaking
Enjoy
Hugs
SueAnn

oneartistjournal.com said...

That's fantastic Monica, sooooo happy for you and your students that are going to learn to make such an awesome book.
I love this: " Art to heal age-old wounds"..Soooooo true it hurts!!!
Much love and joy to you 'creative beast' that you are!