Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Changing My Beliefs and My Space...

Hello Dear blog Readers!
There is a lot that has been happening in the past week I want to share with you...

I mentioned briefly that I was participating in another workshop hosted by my life coach Pete and his coaching partner Wendie and it was just as interesting as the previous workshop, though a little different.

They made some changes in the format since they will be conducting their first workshop to the public in August and they have a limited amount of time to work in. But there were some great additions to the workshop that I found quite helpful...

My Core Values from the first workshop - Fearlessness, Connection and Creativity; these values changed in the second workshop to Passion, Determination, and Achievement. These values will serve me well in the weeks to come!

The last time I did the workshop, I worked with my issues around money and learned that I have a problem with feelings of being worthy, which I was completely unaware of! This time,  I chose to work with the issue of my cluttered home. I somehow have the feeling that the two issues are connected ...

When we did an exercise working with our old thought patterns and limiting beliefs, a thought came out so strong that it surprised me:

YOU DO NOT DESERVE A NICE HOME IF YOU CAN'T KEEP IT CLEAN

Once I put that belief out in the open, I found no reason to continue writing - it was clear to me that this is a 'mob boss' limiting belief that is running the clutter show! I'm not even sure where this belief came from, though I have a sneaky suspicion it generates from my grandmother*...

I can say that this limiting belief, where ever it came from, has been keeping me from things I've wanted in my life - to invite friends for visiting, for play-dates, for knitting or for tea and it's kept me from having a space to begin teaching and sharing my skills and experience with others. The clutter in my home has kept me from these things because I fear the judgement that will come when people see how cluttered my home is (even if my dear Wise Woman sees it as 'eye candy'!)...

Case in point: the area between the dining space and the living space - boxes in piles as well as art supplies in piles on the table...

One of the big things I've wanted to change in my home is to move out a sad, tired, worn out old love seat to make space in my home...


It's too soft to be comfortable, it takes up much needed space and I've had to cover the old dirt with fabric to make it look cozy - it's high time it went out! However, I've had a difficult time getting it out of my home as my coach Pete has been hearing for the past few months, but that changed after the last workshop session...


We were given some great goal setting tools in the last workshop session and one of my goals was to finally get that old sofa out of my home once and for all! My goal was met within a matter of days!!

The truth of the tired old sofa hiding under fabric to make it look cozy - torn, worn and dirty =-\

The amount of space in my humble abode felt great once that tired old sofa was gone!

Space to rearrange some furniture in my home!

Another goal I made is to head out to the Glendale Community College Flea Market in June to "monetize the clutter" as one of the participants put it! I'm hoping to sell off some of the bulky goods belonging to my grandmother that I don't relish selling through my vintage Etsy shop, and I plan to sell off a few personal items that I no longer want to have in my home - I'm ready for some new art-full home style in my humble abode!

I love having these cozy chairs together for knitting or conversation, however the small side table to the left will be available at the flea market if you're interested!! ;)

My next home improvement goal is to begin organizing and especially LABELING my art supplies, which are held in various vintage tins I've been collecting for awhile. This goal feels like a small and do-able goal that could be accomplished within a few days...things are getting exciting for me these days!

I love working with my coach Pete and I love working with Wendie and together they are great coaches facilitating a fantastic workshop that can help you break through the beliefs that are holding you back from living a life of joy. If you are in the Los Angeles area, I highly recommend participating in the upcoming workshop in August!

I'm off to continue with the changes of my humble abode and I'll share the continuing changes as I go, so stay tuned =-)


* - maybe one day I'll share some of the true stories about the grandmother that taught me to sew and knit and has her name on my other Etsy shop - I have told a charming side of the story but there is sadly a darker side...

3 comments:

Kathryn Hansen said...

ohhhh..yay for you Monica!! that was a pretty amazing discovery and then having the courage to do something about it!! not many do!!

jan said...

Monica these workshops sound very useful - creating some clarity which has inspired you to take action. I love the look of your changing space. I also recognise how not having quite the space you feel you "should" limits opportunities. Like you I have stopped people coming for years, and then I also let it all overwhelm me because it feels as if it has a life of it's own and is separate to me! Mad I know! Maybe you just inspired me to do something about my space also. We are starting with a sale hopefully if the weather is good, this weekend. Then when the clutter is gone, maybe the possibilities will emerge.

Amelia said...

wow - I love it when breqk through's happen like this. Well done you! And thanks for stopping by mine, I love your comments :)

Amelia.x