Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Art Journal Spread for Brian and Some News...

Hello Dear Blog Readers!
I thought I'd share an art journal page I recently made for one of my fellow Orly Avineri workshop participants, Brian Kasstle of APaperBear, to show that I'm not just cleaning and clearing in my home 24/7! ;)

At a previous Orly workshop, Brian mentioned participating in a project called the 1001 Art Journals Project, which is being hosted by the author of the book "1000 Journals" and goes by the nom de plume "Someguy". "Someguy" has started the project of 1001 journals being created, then shared online at the 1001 Journals website.

Brian chose to have two traveling journals for his submission and I asked if I could create a spread in one of them. He graciously said yes and here is what I made for Brian:


This is the journal spread before I made a few small additions to it. You can view the details of this original below...


The scrap on the far right hand side of the page is cut from an old promotional card for a functional art gallery that used to reside in Bergamot Station, a gallery collective located in Santa Monica. I was ready to let go of the old postcard and see it take new form in the art journal...


I decided to use some decorative rub-on elements for a change of pace to my usual journal spreads...but then I felt that a few more elements were needed for the spread as a whole. Here is the new spread with two additions:


The additions may be small, but now it seems the two pages are reflecting back to each other. Here are the detail shots:


A paper ephemera circle purposefully cut to show off the pattern of the text is in the corner...


The addition of the butterfly makes this page feel less empty and little more colorful!

So you see, it's not all about cleaning and clearing in my humble abode, though, now that things are changing, it's hard to stop!

Something else I've been busy with these days is...

...preparing to teach my first creative sewing workshop!

Yes, I'll be teaching a fun and creative sewing workshop that will also incorporate my love of books. This workshop will held in July and I will share the details of it with you later this week so be sure to stay tuned!

2 comments:

Kathryn Hansen said...

ohhh...that's exciting Monica!! Your sewed pieces are wonderful...will look forward to reading about it!!

your journal page looks great...the two additions added a lot to the finished pages!

Brian Kasstle said...

Oh these are wonderful Monica! I love your pages!

Would you mind if I post them to the 1001 Journals website?