Thursday, May 17, 2012

Taking a Break From My Break...

Hello dear blog readers! I thought I'd take a moment to share a few things that have happened since my last real blog post...

Sadly, I got sick after the stress of dealing with the death of my boyfriend's grandfather (not to mention the changes in the Blogger system!) and I still have a lingering cough, but I did something that made me feel better and it wasn't taking cough syrup!

Last year I participated in a project hosted by blog buddy Mel of "I Speak Melsh" and I had a lot of fun doing it. Mel decided to go another round of the coloring swap and my second batch of faces arrived in the mail just after the Easter holiday. I colored in the new batch of faces as I continued to recuperate from being sick and this time I chose to use watercolors...


I actually began working with my beloved color pencils, but the idea of using watercolors began to whisper to me so I pulled out all my sets, including a vintage set of watercolors I bought at a flea market, mainly for the tin they came in. Imagine my surprise when I discovered the colors were still good!


Here are a few detail shots of some water-colored faces:



Coloring the faces reminded me that I still had not made up my "facebook" from the faces I got in the first swap, which is part of the project. The suggested style of book was an accordion style, but I found a few little books I had made many years ago before I knew anything about real hand sewn, hand made books. I took some time to assemble the faces I had received in the swap into one such little book...

One of my early hand made books made of cardboard covers and colored paper pages tied together with ribbon...

The pages are just the right size to hold pretty colorful faces with name tags included...


These are the faces that I got in exchange for the faces I made - such a colorful group! Here are a few pics of my book after assembly...

Front Cover

Made by Mel!


Back Cover

I also remembered that I had a few left over faces from the first round and there were some extra faces after this second round. I now have enough to make a book of faces all colored by ME...and I have another little book to use for it too!

A little hand made book tied with my favorite color - burgundy!

Faces from the first round of coloring - the bottom two have watercolor backgrounds inspired by the recent batch of faces

The current batch of colored faces done in watercolor or a mix of watercolor and pencil

I plan on orienting the faces differently in this book and I'll be sure to share the next book when it's completed...

IN OTHER NEWS:
I'm participating in the second round of workshops hosted by my life coach Pete and his coaching partner Wendie. This workshop series is on a tighter time schedule but it's been helpful so far in getting me to start focusing on what I want my creative career to look like. I've been having a difficult time visualizing what I want lately and I've been beating myself up over it and that is never a good thing to do...there are two more weeks left and we'll see what new self discoveries I make this time around, which of course I'll share with you all when the workshop has ended...

And I have something to look forward to this weekend - another fabulous workshop with Orly! Orly has been working on a very important project for awhile now that is finally coming to fruition on Friday. I got the advance word on this project and it is really AWESOME! Be sure to stay tuned for my blog post tomorrow on this exciting project - you're going to LOVE it!!

3 comments:

Vickie said...

hope all will be well for lovely you and your family. süper like the little face books!

Kathryn Hansen said...

I like your creative twist putting the faces into a small book...looks great!!

Wishing you very healthy lungs!!!

humel said...

These are fabulous, babe :) Can't wait to see the latest batch in person! And I love the little book you made xx