Thursday, March 8, 2012

Tree Art with Orly

I participated in Orly Avineri's recent workshop on Saturday titled "Tree Dress Up" and it was great fun as always. Here are the journal spreads I created...


The first spread begins...


...and it moved into this...I wasn't very happy with this spread at this point, but I knew I'd have a chance to make changes during the second half of the workshop. In the meantime, here are some detail shots of this spread:



I did like this side of the spread with the large tree shape silhouette and the few stenciled elements in it, but I knew it would change later in the workshop after the lunch break...

And of course there was tasty food for our lunch break with a heaping side of great conversation from my fellow art journalers!


I'm not the only person in Orly's workshops to photograph the spread of food on her table and we are starting to think of making a special art journal of the food served at these workshops!


 Can you imagine a whole book of food photos such as this?? =-)

Slowly we each returned to our art journals and began to create a second spread. My second spread began like this...



...then evolved into this...


I was using some of Orly's ink sprays this time around since she had spray colors that I do not, and I chose to add some of the ink sprays onto my previous spread and begin the changes to the spread to make it better...better for me anyway ;)


Then I started writing my personal tree stories onto the second spread and continued writing the story onto the first spread, per Orly's instructions. It might make a strange way to write and read a story, but it certainly makes for great visual details...


...small writing around the borders of the tree and the edges of the page adds dimension...


I'm a lot happier with this spread now and happy to be at Orly's table for art, food and thoughtful conversation with like minded artists!

I'll be sharing some new art pages I've been creating lately, so stay tuned!

1 comment:

Kathryn Hansen said...

i really like that second spread...so much movement in it!!