Thursday, February 23, 2012

Art Journal Party with Orly!

If you follow Orly Avineri's blog, you would know that she recently celebrated a birthday. Her thoughts about her birthday were quite inspiring to say the least and this line really resonated with me:

"I come from a place where pain reigns and am in a place where pain teaches."

This sentence spoke to me as I have been struggling with many issues that have come up in the past few weeks and Orly's statement felt so very true for me, as I have been dealing with issues about struggling to earn a living as an Artist, my ever present worries about money and the neighborhood I currently live in, all of which has been painful to look at and to deal with.

These struggles might have been more difficult to deal with if a certain event had not come along to lighten my spirits: Orly's Art Journal Birthday Celebration!

Orly decided to celebrate her marvelous self by having an art journal and potluck party and it was a wonderful day of sharing stories, exchanging special art supplies and papers and, of course, delicious food. I can barely believe I was invited to take part in this wonderful celebration! Here is a peek at what I accomplished in my journal that day...


There were no prompts to guide us so I just began working with the many materials that were shared by my fellow journal-ers. I love using vintage paper such as sheet music or book pages and that's how I started. Before too long, images, color and layers were added...

The pain I have been bumping up against lately is certainly teaching me A LOT but I will not let it reign over my life. This heart takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'!!

Tears may flow, but I see them as a strength, never a weakness...

Of course, Food will always help to cure what ails you, especially beautifully arranged food as this...

OH! How I love, love, LOVE Lemon Chicken!! Thanks for making this dish Brian!

A delicious tuna salad was hiding among the endive...YUM!

Art journals were shared - SO colorful, SO creative, SO inspiring!


We then continued to work in our own journals, letting Imagination be our guide...here is my second spread...

Favorite colors of burgundy and topaz with sepia brown accents...

The Wise Owl made his presence known on this page and I need all the Wisdom I can muster!

Is this a damsel in distress or is she about to embark on a journey into the Unknown..?

A peek on the other side might provide a clue...

No party is truly complete without some sort of cake and Orly had a variety of sweet bites for us to choose from...

We each blew out a candle and a made a wish for Orly - I can't tell you my wish or it might not come true and Orly deserves wonderful wishes =-)

Here is a final look at my first spread and a few details...

More color and a little taped page is added to the mix...

A little page with a big reminder for me...

Yes, I am...

In the course of conversation, I was asked the question:

 "What do I think makes me great?"

My first answer was my sense on humor, but then I added that I think I have a lot of Determination and Perseverance, in light of the challenges I'm working through at this time, and despite the challenges I face in my Life I do make an effort to meet them head on, which is pretty exceptional, if I say so myself!

But I couldn't do it without Art and fellow Artists in my life =-) 

Many thanks to Orly for hosting and inviting me to such a wonderful event  celebrating her amazing self and many thanks to my fellow art journal-ers for sharing so much of yourselves. It really made my week!

3 comments:

Diana said...

You rock, Girl!

SueAnn said...

How special for you to be immersed in art with other artists! That is fabulous
Hugs
SueAnn

Kathryn Hansen said...

OMG...what a fantastic idea for a birthday celebration!!

I empathize with your struggles with building an art career and just life in general, with all of it's challenges. But i've been seeing sorta the same message everywhere lately:if something is really meant to be nothing will stop you from achieving it!

your journal pages just get better and better!! love the colors and images!