Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Keeping Focused...

Hello dear blog readers! I'm here to report on how my first week of working toward completing old projects and defining work and play has gone...

In my last post I made the decision to blog once a week instead of making frequent drives to my dear boyfriends place to check emails, Etsy orders and blog. Now that I have stopped the frequent driving, I've been able to utilize my time a bit more efficiently.

One thing I knew I would need was a regular weekly schedule and my general outline was to keep certain tasks to certain days. So far, Thursday was one of the most productive sewing days I've had in quite awhile...

All the alterations and repairs I've been needing to do lined up and ready to be worked on...

I also had a productive day of photographing items to be listed in my Etsy shops...though, not all the photographs were going to be usable! Here is the ONE shot of some velvet ribbons I plan on selling, if I can just get a few more pictures to capture the color accurately...

These purple/lavender colors are not so easy to photograph - the blue undertones show more in certain light, instead of the red tones they really have

It felt great to have and keep to a schedule since it kept me on track to accomplish different tasks, whether for myself personally or for tasks that move me toward self-sustaining self-employment. As I was working on my new schedule it also helped me to think about the division of work and play.

I've been thinking that everything I do can be attributed to work or play depending upon how I choose to look at it. I had been dividing my projects into what could be considered "work" which was anything that would forward my goals as an artist, and projects that were considered "fun" because they were things I was doing for my own enjoyment or amusement, but CREATING is always fun for me and I like to share those things here on my blog, such as this revised t-shirt...

I began this revised t-shirt at the end of 2011 and posted a picture in this blog post. On my scheduled sewing day I added a ruffled edge along the hem, which you can see better in the detail shot below...


I still think something needs to be added to the neckline, so I'll be pondering what to add in the days to come...


As I watched the Golden Globe Awards the other evening and listened to Morgan Freeman's acceptance speech upon receiving the Cecil B. De Mille award I was struck by one of the things he said...

"It's been said that if you do what you love, you'll never have to work a day in your life"

And he is right about that. It was similar to something a dance teacher had said to me many years ago, that we have to find the fun in things or we'll always be wondering when we're going to have any fun! So I am focusing not only on getting projects accomplished, but on seeing the fun in everything I do and then I'll never have to 'work' another day in my life ;)

In the meantime, I'll be attending Orly's upcoming workshop and I'm finally returning to a project I'd been teasing you all with in these two posts and you'll see what the project is shaping up to become, so stay tuned!

2 comments:

Kathryn Hansen said...

i didn't watch the globes but i love that quote!! it's just getting to that point!!

i like your t-shirt...the stitching is beautiful!!

SueAnn said...

Amen to the quote!!
I am having a blast!
Hugs
SueAnn