Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Self Determination - A Review

I am celebrating the African American holiday of Kwanzaa which lasts for 7 nights beginning on the night after Christmas and focuses on 7 principles. Tonight is the principle of Self Determination or Kujichagulia, and I'll be reviewing what I hoped to accomplish in 2011 when I wrote about this last year so I can make a plan moving forward in 2012.

Second night of Kwanzaa - Self-Determination
Kujichagulia (Self-Determination): To define ourselves, name ourselves, create for ourselves, and speak for ourselves. 
 

Then and Now...

Here is my list for what I hoped to accomplish in terms of self determination from last year:
  • I want to push my financial limits to their utmost in 2011 by earning more money than I could dare to dream of - apparently I have not been dreaming of very great financial success in the past few years!! ;)
  • I want to help others find their creative voice and give support where it is needed...
  • I want to create a home of comfort and welcome for the loved ones in my life...
  • I want to surround myself with like-minded artists, who are enthusiastic about the work they create...

Here is my review:
In regard to pushing my financial limits I guess I needed to be a bit more specific about earning more money since I was laid off from my already low paying job and money is tighter than ever at the end of 2011. I'm not sure what needs to change to bring more money into my life - mind set, skill set, emotional patterns??? I think my Word of the Year can be used to help with this aspect...


I'm not sure if I've been very effective in helping people find their creative voice in 2011, but I do think I have been able to give support to many friends and a few blog buddies when I could. I'll have to ponder this aspect of self determination to see where and how I can improve in 2012


It seems that this was another aspect that went backward rather than forward but I've certainly been working on creating a home of comfort and welcome in the past few months! If I can get there the goal will be to maintain some tidy comfort that will welcome all who pass through my door =-)


I want to work harder on creating a circle of like-minded artists, who are enthusiastic about the work they create and I'd have to add that they should be able to face their fears and still be able to do the work they love. I'm definitely feeling a need for some sort of circle of 'colleagues' to visit with on a more regular basis...

What are some ways you could incorporate the value of Self-Determination in your life for 2011?

1 comment:

Karen Wallace said...

I really like this idea of 7 principles for 7 nights. I will take some time to review my self determination tonight. Thanks Karen