Saturday, December 24, 2011

A Little Bit of Spirit...

I've written here before about feeling "Scrooge-y" in the midst of "the most wonderful time of the year" and sadly, this year is no exception. In fact, I've felt less spirit than I ever have in the past...

I usually manage to muster up a little bit of spirit before the big day arrives, but I think I've been doing so much cleaning and clearing that I've run out of energy for the holiday! I can usually get a bit of spirit going if I decorate, but the thought of bringing out the holiday decorations in the midst of so much cleaning just didn't sound appetizing, but I did find a way to do a little bit of decorating this year...

This picture illustrates how I'm feeling this holiday season - hazy with shadows of spirit coming through...

One thing I do look forward to each year is my annual visit with my wonderful Wise Woman, Janet. We have our very own tradition we created at this time of year though she is Jewish and I am...non-denominational! Our annual tradition is called:

"Monica's Movie Matinee!"

Janet does not own a tv and she doesn't always get to see popular movies since her husband is more a fan of foreign films. I began to show her snippets of popular films that I owned and it all began by showing her bits of different versions of The Nutcraker ballet, since it's my favorite ballet and I own several versions of it.

We pool our resources to have a gathering of foods that we can each enjoy and it usually includes goat cheese since we both enjoy eating goat cheese and our respective partners are not fans of it. We often have our movie matinee in the afternoon but this year we celebrated in the morning since Janet had to pick up her husband at the airport in the afternoon, so we celebrated with a brunch for a nice change.

I am glad to report that my annual event with my wonderful Wise Woman went very well, even though I was not able to clear my dining table to set out our food as we have done in the past...

My dining table, currently my art table, since it's close to the kitchen sink for water when I'm painting

I was able to clear off much of the clutter on my little sofa so Janet could sit in comfort while we dined and watched bits of movies. This year the bits were titled "The singing sensations of Ewan McGregor"*!

My little love seat with much of the clutter that is usually piled on the arms of the sofa - a small tray provided a place for Janet to rest her plate

It was a lovely morning of tasty food, thoughtful conversation and watching movies of singing and dancing! It is my favorite tradition of the holiday season...

Another tradition I've grown to love is celebrating the African American holiday of Kwanzaa. I've been working on a series of posts that will begin the day after Christmas, which is when Kwanzaa begins. I've been reviewing my posts from last year to see how I managed to incorporate the principles of Kwanzaa in my life and I will be thinking of how to move forward in the new year.

I've also been giving some thought to what my Word of the Year will be in 2012 and I'll certainly reveal that on the last day of 2011. I hope you'll check in after Christmas to read the series!

I hope that you are enjoying holiday traditions of your own with the people you love most, whatever those traditions may be...

A Happy Holiday Weekend to you all!
***   ***   ***

* - Ewan McGregor has sung in the films "Emma", "Miss Potter" and of course, "Moulin Rouge", all of which I own on dvd =-)

No comments: