Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Workshop with Orly Avineri - "Make Do"

After many months, I attended a great workshop lead by the fabulous Orly Avineri and it was called "Make Do"...

The basis of this workshop was the concept that we often have TOO MUCH to work with and choose from, which can actually hamper the creative process. I totally get this concept as I've been cleaning and clearing the abundance of materials and supplies I've been accumulating for the many, many years I've been a Creative Beast. I was ready to go minimal with my art journal!

My art journal, small set of color pencils, set of watercolors and my fine point marker pens

Orly asked us to bring only three colorants and one had to be wet, like acrylics or watercolors. I realized when I looked at this request that I do have quite a lot of colorants and some of them I really don't use often, like sets of chalk pencils and oil pastels...

Maybe I should learn how to use these colorants so I can use them more often..??

As I thought about the three colorants I wanted to bring, I realized which ones I really love to work with the most: my color pencils, my markers and my watercolors...

What a layout! Are you feelin' the LOVE I have for these colorants?!!

I was so happy to be able to pack all I needed into one bag! Though I must confess that I left my VERY FAVORITE color pencils (see above!) in the car and elected to use my smaller set of pencils for these reasons: my regular pencils have been getting a lot of play in the past few weeks with this project, and it saved me room in my bag!

In the workshop, Orly spoke about how having so much can often block the creative process and I agree. I think that learning RESOURCEFULNESS can be key in learning creativity and resourcefulness can be used anywhere at anytime...like Creativity!

Orly had prepped a few bags of goods for us to pick from, without looking! Then we discussed the items we had and figured out how we would work with the items. We did each get a postal stamp and a bit of paper that we could use or not in our journal spread. Orly was also kind enough to loan us the use of her Hebrew lettering stencil and I was thrilled to be able to incorporate it into my first journal spread

Some of the letters in the stencil formed the word in the lower right corner page - I'm sure that's not an actual Hebrew word, though...

One of my classmates informed me that the fabric backing on the colorful paper could be removed - I was really excited about that and proceeded to be resourceful with the materials I had at hand! The fabric is at the left...

A closer look at the papers in the upper right corner - one is folded for a reveal...

It was a page from a book on learning Hebrew! I love that I picked it without looking...

As always, there was a tasty lunch made for us by Orly - she is really quite the hostess!


Then we commenced to making our second journal spread using items that were picked for us by our class mates. This was the object I chose to work with...

A bit of wood from a carved fan - this object launched my second journal spread...

Orly asked us where these objects took us and what kind of story we could create from that one object. My object, a piece from a fan, made me think about the South, before the Civil War, and the ladies who used such fans. I thought of one kind of story to create, but my knowledge of that period in American History made my story go in a different direction. Here is the story I created...

Second journal spread in process...

You can learn about "Juneteenth" here or here...

Detail shot of the right-hand page - it took quite awhile to write those two words over and over and over...

Detail shot of left-hand page

I love being in Orly's workshops - each one is unique and there is always something new that I learn or come away with. I'm also often surprised by what I create in her workshops. The second spread began with one idea in mind but it went in a different direction. Despite the lightness of colors I used, the content is actually a bit dark.

Being limited to using what I brought with me was a slight challenge, but a great learning experience. It also gave me the opportunity to learn just what my favorite supplies are, which will help me as I continue with cleaning and clearing my space...And the supplies I won't be keeping might end up in a giveaway!


If you're in the Los Angeles or San Diego areas, I highly recommend taking one of Orly Avineri's workshops. She is a great instructor and wonderful hostess and her classes are always filled with great folks at all levels of learning. Check out her offerings HERE - she teaches at other venues too!

2 comments:

Kathryn Hansen said...

Monica...your journal pages/collages just keep getting better and better!! Orly's classes sound like a lot of fun!!!

danielle daniel said...

WOW! What an experience to learn from Orly! I totally agree that sometimes there is just too many supplies and things to choose from. You really need to simplify your tools so you can focus on the task of creating your masterpiece!

Your journal pages are fantastic! I love the pinks and yellow-golds together!

Thank-you for the loving support you offered me last week. It meant so much to me to know that I was not alone during this very difficult time. I appreciate your loving heart so much and wish you a beautiful week ahead. xoxo