Monday, October 10, 2011

Vintage Drawing Tools...

It's been awhile since I've done a "tools of the trade" post and today is a good day to share a few pics of some of my tools...

If you've been reading here lately as a visitor from Blogtoberfest, I did a series of posts on my trip to The Huntington Library to participate in the first event for The Big Draw LA and I had posted a picture of some of the tools I would using:

My "Big Draw LA" sketchbook

Hand-carved pencils from the Renaissance Faire - I've been using these at home

I am always on the lookout for vintage tools and I remembered a few that I could use as I find time to draw this month...


These darling little retractable pocket pencils were found at yard sales. I was happy to find the gold pencil as it has a chrysanthemum, the flower for the month of November which is my birth month. The silver one is quite lovely with floral etching on it though I'm not sure if I can replace the lead if it runs out.

I've been holding onto them to use them for a special occasion and I think using them for The Big Draw is a good time to bring them out. They are small enough to travel with as I bring my sketch book with me on my outings. These little pencils are just over three inches long...

My little retractable pencils compared to my hand-carved pencil

I tend to use retractable pencils more often than not, but for the times I use lead or color pencils, I always use a hand sharper to sharpen the points. I find the electric sharpeners are just too strong and often break the leads within the pencils. I have quite a few hand sharpeners made of brass, metal and wood. You can imagine my delight when my dear boyfriend found this little treasure during a trip to the Pasadena City College Flea Market this summer...


This vintage pencil sharpener is from England and it does work somewhat. It can just sharpen a point of a pencil, but not much else of the pencil! I am trying to find a way to sharpen the blade. I keep this little treasure at home since my little pencils do not need sharpening while out and about...

My dear boyfriend also found and bought a very cute little piggy pencil sharpener but I don't have a picture of that to share today. I will be sure to take a picture of the piggy because he is very cute!

Do you have any favorite old tools that you love to use in your work? I'd love to hear about them!


BTW: I still have a giveaway happening and you can check out this post to leave your comment for a chance to win - sign up ends tomorrow!

1 comment:

Sophie Slim said...

Such cool tools! Love the handmade pencils! Do we get to see what you drew?
x