Monday, October 24, 2011

Tools of my Trade - Scissors and Shears

I've shared images of the many tools I work with, but I realized that I have not shared one of THE MOST important tools in my arsenal: Scissors and Shears...

Would you believe this picture does not include EVERYTHING I own?!? The mind reels!!

What is the difference you might ask?

If you've peeked at the Wikipedia link I added above, you'll see that the difference is in the size of the blade - the longer the blade, the more it resembles shears. I have at least two pair of shears in my set of cutting implements - my dressmakers shears, which are the largest in this image...

The blades are nearly 8 inches, not including the handles, on the largest pair here and they can be heavy

And my large paper cutters, used for cutting through layers of manila paper to create the patterns I made at school studying Fashion Design and Pattern Drafting...

These look pretty lethal, don't they...These are the heaviest cutting tools I own

Then I have so many other cutting implements: snips

These are used to cut stray threads while at the sewing machine - the spring design makes it hard for anything more precise...

...pinking shears, both pointed edge and scallop.


There are special small cutters that I use for cutting small shapes from paper, such as these...

I bought this pair from a vendor at the Renaissance Faire many years ago - I love the look and feel of them!

...or these funny shaped scissors - maybe they are actually for cutting hair?!
These were a flea market find many years ago, but I've just started using them in my collage work...

And there is my little collection of decorative vintage sewing snips...

More flea market finds with the exception of the open snips - they belonged to my GREAT-Grandmother =-)

And of course there are some cutting tools that have rarely been used...

I bought these for the Artful Journey Retreat earlier this year and hardly used them! But I like the look of them...

My scissors and shears are some of the most important tools I own, next to my sewing machines. I try to care for them as best I can by keeping them sharpened regularly and using each style for it's intended use. When you use such a tool regularly, you can forget that they are also dangerous, so it's good to have a few small scissors meant for little hands...

These were found among my grandmothers things - I probably used them doing crafts as  child!

Though these small scissors are old with a bit of rust, I think they'll do well with some sharpening.

What are some of the tools of your trade? I'd love to hear about them!

5 comments:

humel said...

Wow, that's quite a collection! And I *love* how you've photographed them :)

Kathryn Hansen said...

that's amazing...how many scissors you have!! i never knew there were so many different kinds!! very interesting!

Becoming Dr Doc said...

This is great! Love your collection, I can't believe you have so many!

The Creative Beast said...

Thank you ladies for your comments! It IS quite a collection of scissors I have!

SueAnn said...

What a great collection of cutting tools!! Me...glue is my thing! I have so many types of glue all with different functions! Sigh!
Can't have enough glue I say!!
Hugs
SueAnn